Hi Everyone,

I'm sure you've noticed, but this week is very big for farm bill actions! The United States Senate began the debate process last week and things are moving forward. Below is information on three current actions; there will be one more to follow tomorrow.

1. Organizational Sign On Letter -  Beginning Farmers - Microloan/Go Farm Amendment (Sens. Harkin & Casey):
You may have already seen this sign-on letter:  This is about an amendment to roll together the Farm Service Agency (FSA) micro-loan priority and GO FARM proposal. The sign on with details about this amendment are accessed here - http://bit.ly/harkincaseysignon
Deadline for signing on is 5 PM Eastern time on Wednesday

Your endorsement will help us build support for this amendment in Congress - thanks so much!

2. Today's Action: In Support of the Brown Amendment  (Senate Amendment 2362)
The action can be found at the link below and there is some language to help you spread the word!
 http://bit.ly/senatefbfloor

Got Five Minutes for the Farm Bill?
5 years. That's how often the farm bill comes around.
5 minutes. That's all it takes to speak out for reform.
A lifetime. That's the kind of impact you'll have.

Our nation’s farmers are aging, and we can’t afford to wait any longer to help the next generation of farmers and ranchers get off to a strong start. Programs that boost jobs through rural entrepreneurship, invest in the future of American agriculture, and provide assistance to historically underserved farmers received little to no funding in the Committee’s bill. Senator Sherrod Brown (D-OH), along with 10 fellow Senators*, has introduced an amendment that restores funding to these critical programs.

Will you support the Senators’ efforts in ensuring beginning farmers and rural communities don’t get left behind in the 2012 Farm Bill?Take action here:  http://bit.ly/senatefbfloor

Now’s the time – amidst the hustle and bustle of our everyday lives, the Senate is debating the 2012 Farm Bill, and decisions are being made that will impact farmers, the environment, and local communities for years to come.  If you can spare 5 minutes, you will have an impact.

Also...
To keep up to date on the happenings with the farm bill - check out the National Sustainable Agriculture Coalition's blog, or sign up for weekly updates: http://bit.ly/2012FarmBillSignOnWe are also posting Michigan-based and related news on our blog: http://migoodfoodpolicy.wordpress.com/

As always, If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me!

Best wishes,

Lindsey Scalera
Michigan Voices for Good Food Policy
Grassroots Organizer
734-646-2428
http://migoodfoodpolicy.wordpress.com/

Sign-on to NSAC's Farm Bill Platform

www.sustainableagriculture.net

If you would like to access a searchable archive of the all the previous Mich-Organic listserv postings copy this URL and paste in your browser address field http://list.msu.edu/archives/mich-organic.html