Dear colleagues,

I have already sent around our announcement for a mineralogy/petrology teaching position, but we are also hiring for a sed/strat position. Please help us to spread the word. Details are in the announcement below.

Thanks,

Heather

TEACHING FACULTY AT WESTERN MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY

(1)    SEDIMENTARY GEOLOGY

(2)    MINERALOGY AND PETROLOGY

The Department of Geosciences, College of Arts and Sciences, Western Michigan University invites applications for two, one year, full-time term appointments with the possibility of renewal. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a successful record of research, and a capacity to contribute to our research mission and graduate programs. A PhD is required.

(1) Sedimentary Geology.  Candidates should be capable of teaching graduate and undergraduate courses in sedimentology, carbonate petrology and general geology for non-majors.  Experience in subsurface geological investigations with emphasis on carbonate sedimentology and sequence stratigraphy is desirable. Candidates with appropriate expertise have the opportunity for summer salary support in on-going, funded research related to subsurface reservoir characterization, enhanced oil recovery, and geological carbon sequestration. For additional information, please contact Dr. Dave Barnes, Sedimentary Geology Search Committee Chair, [log in to unmask]

(2)   Mineralogy and Petrology. Candidates should be capable of teaching undergraduate courses in mineralogy, petrology/petrography, and general geology for non-majors. Experience in the areas of igneous petrology, metamorphic petrology, and economic geology is desirable. For additional information, please contact Dr. Heather Petcovic, Mineralogy/Petrology Search Committee Chair, [log in to unmask].

Western Michigan University is a dynamic, student-centered research university with an enrollment of nearly 25,000. WMU is classified as by the Carnegie Foundation for the advancement of teaching as a high research intensity university. Our faculty are focused on delivering high-quality undergraduate and graduate instruction while fostering significant research activities. The Department of Geosciences is home to the Michigan Geological Survey and the Michigan Geological Repository for Research and Education. The department presently has 12 faculty members with active research programs spanning geochemistry, geophysics, hydrogeology, glacial geomorphology, geoscience education, petroleum geology, sedimentary systems, remote sensing, tectonics, and basin analysis.

The appointments will begin in August 2012. Applicants should submit on-line a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching philosophy and interests, statement of research interests using the following website: http://www.wmich.edu/hr/careers-at-wmu.html.  Three letters of professional references should be emailed to Dr. Mohamed Sultan, [log in to unmask]. A completed Faculty Credential Summary is required. Review of applications will begin June 1, 2012 and continue until the position is filled.  Western Michigan University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer consistent with applicable federal and state law.

Dr. Heather Petcovic

Western Michigan University

Dept. of Geosciences and

The Mallinson Institute for Science Education

1903 W. Michigan Ave

Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5241

PH. 269-387-5488 (office)

PH. 269-387-5380 (research)