Dear Colleagues,

Please help us get the word out - we have an immediate opening for a 1-year
term appointment to teach courses in mineralogy, petrology, and earth
science for non-majors. Please see the advertisement below and contact me
with any additional questions.

Thank you,

Heather Petcovic

The Department of Geosciences at Western Michigan University invites
applications for a 1 year, full-time term appointment with the possibility
of renewal in the area of Mineralogy and Petrology. We seek a dynamic
individual capable of teaching undergraduate courses in mineralogy,
petrology/petrography, and general geology for non-majors. The ideal
candidate will also demonstrate a successful record of research, and a
capacity to contribute to our research mission and graduate programs.
Experience in the areas of igneous petrology, metamorphic petrology, or
economic geology is desirable. A PhD at the time of employment is strongly
preferred, although we will consider outstanding ABD candidates.

                Western Michigan University is a dynamic, student-centered
research university with an enrollment of 25,000. WMU is classified as by
the Carnegie Foundation for the advancement of teaching as a high research
intensity university. Our faculty are focused on delivering high-quality
undergraduate and graduate instruction while fostering significant research
activities. The Department of Geosciences is home to the Michigan Geological
Survey and the Michigan Geological Repository for Research and Education.
The department presently has 15 faculty members with active research
programs spanning geochemistry, geophysics, hydrogeology, glacial
geomorphology, geoscience education, petroleum geology, sedimentary systems,
remote sensing, tectonics, and basin analysis.

                The appointment will begin in August 2012. Salary range is
$42,500-$45,500 plus benefits. Applicants should send a cover letter,
curriculum vitae, statement of teaching philosophy and interests, statement
of research interests and goals, and three letters of professional
references to Dr. Mohamed Sultan, [log in to unmask] Review of
applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is
filled. For additional information, please contact Dr. Heather Petcovic,
Mineralogy/Petrology Search Committee Chair, [log in to unmask]
Western Michigan University is an equal opportunity employer and encourages
a diversity of applicants.

Dr. Heather Petcovic

Western Michigan University

Dept. of Geosciences and

The Mallinson Institute for Science Education

1903 W. Michigan Ave

Kalamazoo, MI 49008-5241

PH. 269-387-5488 (office)

PH. 269-387-5380 (research)