From: Lisa King [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2012 2:30 PM
To: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; Forward, Linda (MDE); Freeland, Tom (MDE); [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; LaFleur, Peggy (MDE); [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]; Redmond, Rudy (WDA); Wade, Keenan (WDA); [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
Cc: Brandy Johnson; Intern 1
Subject: College Application Week 2012 - Update

Greetings CAW Implementation Committee,

It's been a couple of months since we've last connected, but the timeline we discussed for launching 2012 is just around the corner.  We have a number of important updates to share regarding 2012 planning and host site recruitment. We're also looking to schedule a conference call in late May.

2012 Dates
The week has been selected!  Thank you to Patrick O'Connor who helped MCAN put together a survey and distributed it among counselors.  Based on the survey feedback we selected the week of October 29 - November 2 as College Application Week 2012.

College Application Week - National Learning Community Convening
Lumina Foundation has invited Michigan to Indianapolis on April 25 for a convening that will bring together states that are exploring the implementation of a statewide College Application Week with state leaders who are already experiencing success with this this program.  This discussion will cover how College Application Week can address the national need to increase the number of individuals achieving a postsecondary credential. States that are new to the initiative will hear about effective strategies and practices, as well as pitfalls to avoid from experienced leaders, and will gain the tools and guidance necessary to immediately begin planning for fall 2012 implementations. Karen Hutslar, with MACRAO, will be traveling with me for the meeting.  We're excited to attend on behalf of our committee and look forward to sharing with all of you what lessons and tips we discover!

Host Site Application Process
First week of April - announce Host Site Application process; Recruitment of sites through entire month
May 1 - Application deadline to apply as a Host Site
May 30 - Announce selected Host Sites
August - Site Coordinator Implementation Toolkit finalized and distributed to Host Sites

A draft Host Site application is attached to this email.  Please review it and provide any feedback for improvements.  This will be used to launch our recruitment efforts in April.

Host Site Recruitment
MCAN will promote the opportunity through our enewsletter and LCAN listserv.  We will also provide sample text for the committee and LCAN's to use in your respective newletters, listservs, etc.

There will be a College Application Week information session during MCAN's conference on April 30.  Although the deadline is May 1, we'll extend the deadline for those participating in the conference session.  MCAN will also share CAW information during our presentation at the MACAC conference on April 20. We have a session proposal currently submitted to MI-CAPP for their upcoming conference on April 16 & 17.

As a reminder, our Year 2 goal is to expand host sites to high schools within current Local College Access Networks (approximately 220 high schools). This strategic decision helps us ensure the students are surrounded by a larger college-going culture support system beyond College Application Week efforts as they navigate their path to college. This is also to help us ensure we're working with high schools with the highest need of low-income and first-generation students.  We do not intend to turn any high schools away, but do want to give LCAN high schools priority.

Data Collection
As we expand CAW, we need to create a aggregate data collection tool for the site coordinators to track the number of applications submitted during the week. Jamie Jacobs, MCAN's manager of professional development, has created the data collection form we'd like to use.  Please review the excel document attached and share any feedback with the group. It's important to note we only want aggregate data, not student level data, so we are asking coordinators to remove the student names before submitting their data.

Next Committee Meeting - Conference Call
We'd like to schedule a conference call in late May for Karen and I to share our lessons learned from the national CAW convening as well as review the host site high school applicants.  Please follow this link to select your availability.  http://www.doodle.com/8u5ghmi2mam28f7s

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me.

Cheers,

--
Lisa Sommer King
Assistant Director, Michigan College Access Network

Our Goal: To increase the proportion of Michigan residents with college degrees or high-quality credentials to 60% by the year 2025.