At Baylor University, our 6th Annual Global Business Forum will focus on the topic, “Women in the World Economy.” The full schedule is available here, and information about the speakers is available here.

All of the Forum events will be held on the 5th floor of Cashion on the Baylor University campus in Waco, Texas.

During the Forum, we will celebrate the successes of women who have entered positions of global influence, and we also will explore the challenges confronted by women all countries, rich and poor. Today, women account for 40 percent of the global labor force and 52 percent of global university enrollment. They serve as heads of state in 13 countries and hold CEO positions in 18 of the Fortune 500.  On the other hand, according to the World Bank, practices that exclude women from certain occupations may depress labor productivity in developing countries by as much as 25 percent.

On Wednesday evening, March 21, we will hold an opening dinner where the keynote speaker will be Barbara Barrett, who currently serves as Interim President of the Thunderbird School of Global Management. She has served as U.S. Ambassador to Finland, President of the American Management Association and the International Women’s Forum, and has also trained as a fighter pilot and an astronaut!

On Thursday, March 22, we will have a wonderful lineup of speakers throughout the day.  Topics will include “Women in Entrepreneurship” (9:30-10:45am), “Women in Global Trade” (11:00am-12:15pm), and “Women in Corporate Leadership” (2:00-3:15pm).  Our speaker at the luncheon (12:30-1:45pm) will be Paula Caldwell St-Onge, the Canadian Consul General for this region of the United States.

AIB members are welcome to attend all of the Forum events as our guests, including the Wednesday dinner and/or the Thursday lunch, but seating is strictly limited for the meals, so please register here and contact [log in to unmask] if you wish to attend either/both of those sessions.

I hope you have a great Spring Break, and thanks in advance for your support of the annual Global Business Forum.

All the best,

Steve Gardner

Herman Brown Professor of Economics

Chairman, Department of Economics

Director, McBride Center for International Business