Hello,
I recently had a discussion on another email list about this topic and was wondering if anyone in the MSU community was interested in chiming in.

The general argument, from other list, was that with Vsphere 4.x and 5.x that you should use VMDKs for data storage in your VMs in 99% of all situations.  I had always been under the assumption that VMDKs were slower than directly connecting to the same back-end storage from the guest VM's OS.  This was even more true when the data was I/O heavy (as in DB and email).

After hearing this, and being told I was crazy for not using (and taking advantage of) VMDKs, I decided to do a little more research on the topic.  I did find this white paper from VMware, http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vmfs_rdm_perf.pdf, which concludes that there is no real performance benefit between VMDKs and RDMs.  Since the reasons for using RDMs now is very small (outside of applications that require low-level disk access), I can see how it would make sense to choose VMDKs.  The next step in reasoning would be that if there is no benefit in using RDMs, then you'd likely also not see any benefit in using direct connection via the guest VM (using iSCSI initiator).

So I am curious what the experience of others on campus has been and what they usually go with.  Is there any benefit, performance or otherwise, for still connecting to back-end storage directly from a guest VM?

-Steve Bogdanski