I think it's been well documented that Verizon has the best coverage in the
US.  But other providers may do just fine if you're not expecting service
in the middle of the woods up North.

On campus, various providers have strategically placed antennas.  Some
buildings are hard to penetrate.  So your campus experience may not reflect
service elsewhere. Someone from Telecom could maybe elaborate.

/rich