This is a topic that is similar to asking "What kind of computer should I
buy?" which is kind of like asking a group of people "What kind of car
should I buy?"

I had an iPhone 3GS for over a year and liked it from the get go.  I
upgraded to a 4S about a month ago.  It's much faster.  The display is
gorgeous.  I'd previously upgraded to iOS 5 on the old phone, but it zings
along well on the 4S.  Reviews show how much better the camera is.  The
flash is pretty good and there are 3rd party apps that turn it into a
flashlight.

When I first got the 3GS I had lots of problems with dropped calls.  That
gradually improved, I assume as AT&T improved its network.  The 4S has a
dual antenna setup and the antenna problem is solved.

The iPhone 4s is not an LTE phone on any provider.  Tests show its data
performance is poor on Verizon because you fall back to 3G, which is slow
on Verizon but more advanced on AT&T.  The FCC speed test (see
http://www.broadband.gov/qualitytest/ ) shows 2.5 Mbps download and about 1
Mbps upload.  An LTE phone on Verizon can scream.  AT&T is rolling out LTE
now.

Siri is fun but I'm not as wild about it as some are.  My favorite Siri
"huh" is if I ask "key west cameras" I get back "Sorry I can't places in
Iceland."

My main concern is battery life.  As you use the phone for its smartphone
features that chew up a lot of battery (music, camera, video) you chew up
battery fast. If you are shooting video in the field you may eat up your
talk time. The irreplaceable battery is criminal.

While I'm sure you'll get lots of good advice here, you might want to check
out other forums.  There is a lot of fervor out there.  There's also some
helpful reviews at places like PCMAG.