At GSA this October there were several sessions devoted to teaching
Earth Science content courses specifically designed for elementary or
secondary education majors. From these sessions came the recognition
that we face a unique set of challenges compared to teaching geoscience
majors courses or general introductory courses. Several people suggested
that we find a way of organizing as a community to provide mutual
support and foster collaborations between institutions. It was even
suggested that we would benefit from forming a division within NAGT
devoted to teacher education. We would like to use this listserv as a
communication portal for our community. If you know of anyone who
teaches content courses for preservice teachers or is interested in
joining the conversation - please pass on this message. They can sign up
for the listserv at http://serc.carleton.edu/mailman/listinfo/teacherprep.

    If we are going to build off of the momentum from GSA, it seems that
we need to start thinking about what to do next. Here are a few ideas,
but we would like to hear of any that you may have.

   1. Uploading our presentations from GSA. Jennifer Anderson and John
      McDaris have set up a space on the SERC website
      (http://serc.carleton.edu/dev/teacherprep/workshops/2011GSA.html
      <http://serc.carleton.edu/dev/teacherprep/workshops/2011GSA.html>)
      for our powerpoints from GSA. (The website is currently in
      development, but should be active soon.) If you gave a
      presentation related to teacher ed, please send it to Jennifer
      Anderson and she will upload it to the [log in to unmask]
   2. Should we have another session devoted to teacher ed/ el ed
      courses at next year's GSA? Suggestions for a topic or theme? Who
      would be interested in giving a talk in Charlotte?
   3. Other ideas for the "next step" for our group?

Some of this info was sent out before the Thanksgiving Break, but I am
resending it as a means of trying to "cast a wide net".

Feel free to contact myself ([log in to unmask]) or Jennifer Anderson
([log in to unmask]) regarding this topic.

-Kyle Gray