Having recently added one of the (MSU-led) information sessions with some of those same concerns, it was suggested to compare the expense ratios of funds available through your current provider vs Fidelity vs TIAA-CREF. For example, I checked the Vanguard Target Date X retirement funds and at least in the range i checked (2030-2050), all the funds had the same expense ratio (at least to two significant figures since that's all I could find on the web sites) with Vanguard directly or via the same funds offered by Fidelity or TIAA-CREF (Yes, you will still get Vanguard Target Date Retirement Funds even though we no longer have Vanguard as an option. Conspiracy theorists, have at it...)

Beyond that, you could go to StraightLine or any other investment agency (on your own dime) to get an outside opinion.

Whether MSU is receiving any added value/benefits or the nature of such, I couldn't say. The official party line seems to be compliance with new federal regulations (although I have not seen actual documentation of said regulations), with a mix of "most people didn't even know we had 6 vendors" (the merit of which as a reason for eliminating 4 of them, I will leave to the reader).

Carl

Carl Bussema III
Information Technologist
Michigan State University Outreach & Engagement
Phone: (517) 353-8977 • Fax: (517) 432-9541