Dear Members of the World Investment Network,

It is my pleasure to share with you a new UNCTAD product: Investment Country Profiles.

Without proper information and data on foreign direct investment (FDI) it is difficult for countries to formulate sound investment policies conducive to sustainable development, or to analyze countries' participation in global and regional economies.

Investment Country Profiles present several indicators at the country level: inward and outward FDI flows and stocks, the activities of transnational corporations (TNCs) and their foreign affiliates, and basic information on the largest TNCs both in and from the profile countries.

Let me present some highlights from the first six Investment Country Profiles of Switzerland, Estonia, Finland, Lithuania, Czech Republic and Latvia.

Investment Country Profiles, which we will publish regularly, are aimed at policymakers, researchers, intergovernmental and non-governmental organizations and decision makers in the private sector, who need up-to-date information on the patterns and trends of FDI and TNC activity at the country level.

The next Investment Country Profiles will include Argentina, Turkey, Italy, Greece, France, Ukraine, Tunisia and South Africa.

Best regards,

James X. Zhan
Director
Investment & Enterprise Division
United Nations Conference on Trade & Development
Palais des Nations, Geneva
Tel: +41 22 9175797
www.unctad.org/diae
__