Ok.  I'm going to bring up a software package that... I wish to God had never been developed!  I hope someone out there knows something about it.

Paradox 9

When I took over as Network / System admin here in Music, the Community Music School was using a program called ArtPro (not to be confused with the graphics software made by esko) that was built on Paradox 9.  Corel's database software.

There are two portions to this software.

First is the client application.  All database files are stored on our network drive in Location A.  The network drive is a Buffalo LinkStataion 2.0.  The Paradox software is installed on a local machine with a drive mapped to the ArtPro files.  In Location A, it runs ok.  Not blazing fast, but sufficient.

Second is a web server interface that collects information from their website for online class and lesson registration.  That web server also connects to the files on the network drive to update them.  (I don't know anything about hos this is set up as I don't maintain it, nor do I know anything about it.  So that's all the info I have about it.

The problem is, we now have a location in the Detroit Center, and they wish to use the same instance of ArtPro from that location.  So, we install Paradox 9 on the local machine and map the drive.  While you can access other files, via Word, Excel, PhotoShop etc, without any problem (again, not horribly speedy, but fast enough, Paradox is HORRIBLY slow connecting to the ArtPro files.  It can take 7 minutes to load the initial menu form.

I'm not familiar at all with Paradox, or their connection protocols or anything that might help me trouble shoot this issue.

Anyone out there know anything about it that might be able to give me some tips and ideas?

Thanks!

-dak

*  Dak Aldrich
*  Info Tech
*  College of Music, MSU
*  517.432.5045
*  http://helpdesk.music.msu.edu

This message is only for the intended recipient(s).  If you are not the named recipient you should not read, distribute or copy this email.  Any views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the author and do not represent those of Michigan State University or the College of Music.  Any information obtained from or contained in these emails is confidential.  No information will be shared or given to any persons outside of the appropriate department(s).