   At GSA this October there were several sessions devoted to teaching
Earth Science content courses specifically designed for elementary or
secondary education majors. From these sessions came the recognition
that we face a unique set of challenges compared to teaching geoscience
majors courses or general introductory courses. Several people suggested
that we find a way of organizing as a community to provide mutual
support and foster collaborations between institutions. It was even
suggested that we would benefit from forming a division within NAGT
devoted to teacher education.

   We would like to keep this momentum from GSA going. As I see it, the
first step in doing so is to see how many people within the greater
geoscience education community are involved in teacher education (at
either the elementary or secondary level). If you are involved teaching
teachers in any way or are interested in this subject, I encourage you
to go the following link and sign up for the listserv
http://serc.carleton.edu/mailman/listinfo/teacherprep. We plan to
reinvigorate this listserv and use it to communicate with each other
about issues in teaching Earth Science to future K-12 teachers and would
love for you to join the conversation.

Also, if you have any ideas on what we can do as a community to promote
teacher education, please send an email to myself ([log in to unmask]) or
Jennifer Anderson ([log in to unmask]).

Kyle Gray
Earth Science & Science Education
University of Northern Iowa