Dear AIB Colleagues:

***********************************
We invite you to submit a Short Paper on

Designing culturally sustainable organizations

to a Sub-Theme of the
28th EGOS COLLOQUIUM
July 5-7, 2012, Helsinki, Finland

***********************************

Deadline for Short Paper (≤ 3,000 words) submission:  January 16, 2012

Convenors:

Sonja Sackmann, University Bw Munich, Germany, [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Maggi Phillips, Pepperdine University, USA, [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Ann Feyerherm, Pepperdine University, USA, [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]

Call for Papers:

Leaders of organizations in the 21st Century face the unprecedented challenge of designing organizations that serve a broad range of stakeholders and are sustainable within their market, financial, physical, and social realms.  This requires strategically positioning the organization within the unique intersection of “environmental stewardship, corporate citizenship, product/service excellence, and financial strength.”1  Crafting an organization to attain and maintain a strategic stance delicately balanced within this nexus of sustainability demands attention to the complexity of the organization’s internal and external environments, as well as a deep understanding of the multifaceted cultural context.

In this sub-theme, we seek to develop an integrated understanding of
organization design, sustainability, and culture by:
To this end, we invite conceptual, empirical (quantitative and qualitative), and case research illuminating the intersection of the three concepts, as well as research founded in the interaction of any two.

We encourage consideration of general questions, e.g.,

We invite attention to specific issues derived from these themes, i.e.,
•  What aspects of diagnosis need to precede design to assure sustainability?
•  How do extant cultural contexts/mindsets shape diagnosis and design?
•  Do certain cultural characteristics and competencies foster sustainability?
•  Which cultural attributes must be embedded to assure sustainability?
•  Are some cultural contexts (e.g., organization, industry, region, nation) more amenable to sustainable enterprise development?
•  If so, what cultural assumptions of those contexts foster amenability?
•  Are these assumptions shared across these contexts and are they replicable in or transferable to other contexts?
•  If the embedding process is instead evolutionary, what factors impact its development?
•  What is the residual effect of design and the design process upon the extant cultures?
•  How does cultural knowledge and cross-cultural competence contribute to effective leadership of sustainable enterprises?

Some guiding literature
***********************************
1Michael Crooke (former CEO, Patagonia, Inc.), Mission Statement, SEER Certificate Program, Graziadio School, Pepperdine University, USA.

Submission schedule for the conference is:

Abstracts and papers will be available on the EGOS website.
Formal sub-theme announcement at
http://www.egos2012.net/2011/06/sub-theme-29-designing-culturally-sustainable-organizations/

Any inquiries should be directed to:

Prof. Dr. Sonja Sackmann
Institute for Developing Viable Organizations
Department of Economics, Management and Organization Sciences
University Bw Munich
Werner-Heisenberg-Weg 36
D-85577 Neubiberg, Germany
tel:  +49 (89) 6004 2697
email:  [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]