Dear AIB members,

With this email we intend to present a brief summary of our PhD research in
order to ask for your collaboration.

*1. SUMMARY OF THE PhD RESEARCH*

Our research is in Comparative Management. In this project we are studying:
(1) the validity of the GLOBE’s model of cultural dimensions “As is” (House
et al., 2004) in the prediction of the leadership practices measure by the
Leadership Practices Inventory, Self Instrument, 3rd Edition (Kouzes &
Posner, 2003); (2) the validity of the “bands” (way that GLOBE aggregate the
differences and similarities between countries in each dimension); (3) the
impact of variables at individual, organizational and societal levels in the
relation between culture and leadership practices.

In this project we are trying to answer to recent calls in the scientific
community: (1) According to Venaik & Brewer (2010) between 2004 and 2009, no
studies were found that use GLOBE’s Uncertainty Avoidance in the prediction
of leadership practices, in the 10 key journals that publish cross-cultural
studies in international business. Hofstede (2010), calls for external
validation of the GLOBE’s model of cultural dimensions; (2) Some authors
have reported the necessity to introduce other variables beyond culture in
the explanation of the results and relations between individuals and
cultures, once the variance explained by cultural scores is generally low
(Kirkman Lowe & Gibson, 2006; Gelfand, Erez & Aycan, 2007; Leung et al.,
2005; Gibson, Maznevsky & Kirkman, 2009).

In order to conduct this study we selected a sample of two levels:

1. At national level we chose a sample of 18 countries: *Argentina;
Australia; Brazil; China; Denmark; Germany; India; Indonesia; Japan; Mexico;
Nigeria; Portugal; Spain; Russia; Thailand; Turkey; USA and Venezuela;*

2. At individual level we chose as sample MBA (with and without thesis) and
MSc students in the area of management, such as: *accounting, finance,
general management (for example: business administration, strategy,
international management and business, comparative management), human
resources, marketing, public management, among others.*

* *

*2. COLLABORATION REQUEST*

We are asking for your collaboration because we need to increase the number
of questionnaires per country, in order to be possible to publish the
results of our research in reference journals of this area.

The collaboration request *consists only to send the link bellow to your MBA
(with and without thesis) **and/or MSc students in the area of management of
your Faculty/Institute.* The questionnaire is on-line, it’s translated in
your national language and is necessary no more than 10-15 minutes to
filling up. The questionnaire is available in the following link:

http://crossculturalstudies.questionform.com/custom/start

*3. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION*

a. This Project has been funded by the FCT from the Portuguese Minister of
Science and Technology;

b. We have already started to present the preliminary results of our
research:

Teodósio, J. e Robalo A. (2011). The validity of GLOBE’s cultural dimensions
in the prediction of leadership practices. *37th EIBA Annual Conference -
"Taking IB in Europe to the Next Level: Emerging Issues, Strategies and
Economies"*, Bucharest, 8-10 December de 2011. Accepted for presentation as
a workshop paper.

Teodósio, J. e Robalo A. (2011). Comparative Management: The study of
Leadership Practices in 18 countries. *7th PhD Workshop on Global and Cross
Cultural Management. Maastricht, Netherlands, June 13-18*. Facilitators:
Geert Hofstede; Mark Peterson; Mikael Minkov and Mikael Sondergaard.

Teodósio, J. e Robalo A.(2011). Leadership Practices in Portugal and China.
*7th International Symposium on Multinational Business Management -
Enterprise Management in a Transitional Economy and Post Financial Crisis*,
35-43. Nanjing, China, June 5-6. Nanjing University Press

If you are from one of the selected countries and are available to help us,
please let me Know. We would be very grateful with your collaboration.

Best regards,

Joăo Teodósio

Professor at School of Management and Technology – Polytechnic Institute of
Santarem

Ph.D Student at ISCTE-IUL

MSc in Management

Research Assistant at Management Research Centre – ISCTE – IUL

Email: [log in to unmask]

For assistance:  [log in to unmask]
AIB-L is a moderated list.