Dear Member of the World Investment Network,

It is my pleasure to share with you the 6th issue of our
joint UNCTAD-OECD Report on G-20 Investment Measures .

The 6th joint Report builds on the findings of our last Global Trends Monitor and notes that the global FDI recovery faces new challenges, with a moderate FDI growth during the first half of 2011 and a likely slow-down in the second half. As the world economy urgently needs a boost from private investment to generate growth and create jobs, the Report calls for short-term crisis management to be coordinated with efforts to encourage long-term productive investment.

During the end-April to early-October 2011 reporting period, nine G-20 members took some sort of investment policy action.
On the whole, G-20 members have continued to honour their pledge not to retreat into investment protectionism. In fact, most of the investment policy measures taken in the reporting period indicate a move towards eliminating restrictions to foreign investment and improving clarity for investors.

The Report was prepared in response to the G-20 Leaders’ latest request made at their Summit meeting in Seoul on 11-12 November 2010, when they reaffirmed the extension of their standstill commitment to resist protectionism until the end of 2013. They asked the WTO to continue monitoring trade policy developments, and UNCTAD and the OECD to continue monitoring investment policy developments, and to report publicly on a semi-annual basis.

This G20 report can be read in the broader context of most recent global investment policy developments, as described in UNCTAD's 6th Investment Policy Monitor.

We hope you find this information interesting and useful, and welcome any comments and suggestions you may have on our work.

With best regards,

James X. Zhan
Director
Investment & Enterprise Division
United Nations Conference on Trade & Development
Palais des Nations, Geneva
Tel: +41 22 9175797
www.unctad.org/diae

WIR