I am an AT&T cell customer in an area with lots of dropped calls.  Better in
the last few months, but not great.

From AT&T's perspective, the MicroCell is a great deal.  In particular, if
they can offload traffic onto someone else's broadband infrastructure, it's
a win for them.  A while back they offered free Wi-Fi to customers in the
thick of things in Times Square, because iPhone and iPad traffic were
causing so much strain on their network.  If you can get the traffic onto
Wi-Fi and off cellular, AT&T wins. If you can get traffic off to a wired
broadband network, it offloads the cell network, and AT&T wins.  So if they
can get MSU to carry their traffic for free over the campus network, then
AT&T wins.

AT&T does say this is for home or small business.  Here is the FAQ:
http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/3gmicrocell.jsp?fbid=pGDWXrJpXfN

A couple of questions:

-- If your broadband provider is also AT&T, ie their DSL service, does this
count against your DSL usage quota?
http://gigaom.com/broadband/att-caps-bandwidth-meter-survey/

-- Does the Microcell just extend AT&T voice service, or does it also extend
data service?

Interestingly, note that you can grant your MicroCell as a minitower to
serve other AT&T customers.  It's a very interesting twist in the history of
cellular phones.  In the case of a large campus, it'd be an incentive to
have individuals to get the MicroCell and grow a viral network of friends
instead of paying the campus for local towers.  But they don't claim this
service as a campus offering.

/rich