On 09/13/11 17:08, Hoort, Brian wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

We’ve got our workstations configured for DHCP.  MSU provides a hostname. If you login to dhcp.msu.edu you can see a list of the hostnames the machines you’ve registered have been given. After looking them up, I’m trying to connect to them to do maintenance, view an event log, or whatever is necessary at the time, and it doesn’t work. The DHCP listing only lists the hostname without a domain. I’m presuming the domain is .msu.edu – but since it’s not working perhaps I’m mistaken. What am I doing wrong, here?

For example, my NetID is hoortbri, so the third machine I register is given the name hoortbri-3.  I happen to know that machine is on. Pinging hoortbri-3.msu.edu fails to connect.  What am I missing here?

Thanks, all.

Um,  As a possible example for me,  andres-2.pls.msu.edu, in political science.

Are you in ats (hoortbri-2.ats.msu.edu) ?

--STeve Andre'