Colleagues,

I am teaching 2 workshops on education research methods at the GSA Annual Meeting in Minneapolis. If you haven't registered for the workshops already, please do so soon. You can register for the workshops through GSA at http://geosociety.org/meetings/2011/courses.htm.

518. Education Research I: Conducting Qualitative
Geoscience Education Research.

Sat., 8 Oct., 8 a.m.–noon.

$90; includes lunch. Limit: 35. CEU: 0.4.

Julie Sexton, Univ. of Northern Colorado.

Participants will learn qualitative education data
collection and analysis methods used in science education research. Case
studies, demonstrations, and hands-on activities will be used to teach
participants how to develop qualitative education research studies, collect
qualitative data (e.g., interviews), and analyze qualitative data (e.g.,
coding). This short course is designed for students, university and K–12
educators, and researchers who are engaged in or who plan to be engaged in
geoscience education research. This course can be taken alone or in conjunction
with the short course “Conducting Education Research II: An overview of
quantitative education research methods” (course 523).

 523. Education Research II: Conducting Quantitative
Geoscience Education Research.

Sat., 8 Oct., 1–5 p.m.

$90; includes lunch. Limit: 35. CEU: 0.4.

Julie Sexton, Univ. of Northern Colorado.

This activity-based course serves as an introduction to
quantitative education research methods. It is designed for geoscience faculty
or students who are or will be conducting quantitative education studies.
Topics will include developing quantitative education research questions,
designing a quantitative study (e.g., selecting appropriate designs),
collecting quantitative data (e.g., surveys), and investigating causality. This
course can be taken alone or in conjunction with the short course “Education
Research I: Conducting Qualitative Geoscience Education Research” (course 518).

If you have questions about the workshops, please contact me at [log in to unmask]

--Julie
Julie Sexton, Ph.D.
Research Associate
University of Northern Colorado