WOW!!! I am ecstatic...This is great news.

All the best,

Silverenia

----- Original Message -----

From: "Rudy Redmond (MEDC)" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:02:44 AM
Subject: MI GEAR UP Awarded!

Good Morning:  Congratulations!!! The Workforce Development Agency/King-Chavez-Parks Initiative has received a $23.5 M grant through the U.S. Department of Education, Gaining Early Awareness & Readiness for Undergraduate Programs (GEAR UP) . The grant will be a little more than $3M during the first budget year and provide funding over seven-years. We are so proud of all of your hard work with students throughout the State of Michigan and look forward to another cycle of funding to continue this important work.

We have had the chance to thank many of you for your assistance throughout the process. Whether you were called upon to assist in crafting the proposal, editing our work or the application process, we couldn’t have done it without the strong leadership and support of our GEAR UP Directors, Coordinators and staff.  While we've had a GEAR UP program for many years, in this round it was essential to demonstrate and craft a dynamic plan for the future.  Thank you for your support and patience.

In the new award, which began on September 26, MI GEAR UP will serve nearly 10,000 low-income, underrepresented students in 49 school districts throughout the state.

 The program goals are to:

• Educate GEAR UP students and families on the importance and accessibility of a college education.

• Provide academic support and guidance to make college enrollment and retention achievable .

• Increase student and family capacity to make college affordable , allowing students to enter the collegiate process and leverage financial options.

There is a lots to do in preparation for the new award. More information regarding Start-Up documents will be forthcoming. Please do not hesitate to contact our office with questions or concerns.

Congratulations to all!

Rudy Redmond

Manager,KCP Initiative

201 North Washington Square

Lansing, Michigan 48913

(517) 373-9700

http://www.michigan.org
http://www.michiganadvantage.org

http://www.facebook.com/MIAdvantage
http://www.facebook.com/PureMichigan.org

This message contains information which may be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the intended recipient (or authorized to receive this message for the intended recipient), you may not use, copy, disseminate or disclose to anyone the message or any information contained in the message.  If you have received the message in error, please advise the sender by reply e-mail, and delete the message.  Thank you very much.