Who needs a MSU campus wide WINS service?  Who wants a campus wide WINS service just for convenience?

I still have over 7600 static entries in the MSU campus WINS service.  Please note the WINS is a service oriented registration so I will have multiple entries of the same IP if it is a

DC, Workstation, file server, Unique name, Master browser for a subnet, etc.   Total entries with the students not yet arriving is around 60,000.

FYI: The IPs for the campus WINS are currently 35.8.2.25, 35.8.2.69. Always use 35.8.2.25 as the primary.

 I say currently because I need to move them out of the 35.8.2.n IP range, if there still is a demand for the service.

Campus DHCP service gives out 35.8.2.25 for DHCP registered systems.  I see large growth when students arrive.

MSU NetBIOS uses a flat name space for all unique names, domain names and child domains.  Please takes this into consideration when creating a domain or naming a system.

Ex: dc1.AD.deptname.msu.edu tries to create a unique NetBIOS name of dc1 and a NetBIOS domain name of AD.  Duplicate names are not permitted but multiple DCs can be registered under the same domain as in this example, AD.

Please send me some feedback if WINS is a desired service.

thanks

-          Mel

Mel Micke
[log in to unmask]  517/ 43 2-7302
Michigan State University

Academic Technology Services – Systems & Infrastructure
313 Computer Center, East Lansing MI 48824-1042