I know someone who uses their iPad when they goto the UP for a few
weeks and loves it. I don't now if she has a cell plan or is still
using dialup. I know she was using dialup pre-iPad.

We are planning on replacing my mom's computer with an iPad. She is
retired and computer illiterate (which is -great- for debugging
interfaces). We are just waiting for iOS5 since it doesn't require
another computer. Embedded solutions are great for people who are more
or less computer illiterate.

She may also get a Gurplug Display, Trimslice, or some other low power
embedded device to handle printing and a few other tasks. (swapping
out a microsd card is much nicer then having to sit and run updates
and debug at her house.)

I gave her my personal laptop, which is like 6 years old, and I came
to a few realizations:

-The iPad actually performs nicer and a MUCH better then the laptop.
(The GPU is faster, and arguably the chip *tries to avoid a
architecture discussion*.)

-Adobe Flash has way too much processing overhead and doesn't draw
well without video acceleration.

-OpenOffice was an acceptable replacement for Microsoft Office for her use.

-Linux was usable enough to get Christmas presents ordered. :)

-The laptop doubled its performance by using btrfs as the main
filesystem instead of ext4 or XFS. (The drive isn't even in the same
league as the SSD the iPad uses.)

--
"The information in this email, and attachment(s) thereto, is strictly
confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for