Steve,

I've had luck deleting the user's Word DATA registry key; see:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541

Delete the Word Data registry key
Most of the frequently used options in Word are stored in the Word Data registry key. A common troubleshooting step is to delete the Word Data registry key. The next time that you start Word, Word rebuilds the Word Data registry key by using the default settings.

Note When you delete the Word Data registry key, Word resets several options to their default settings. One such option is the "most recently used file" list on the File menu. Additionally, Word resets many settings that you customize in the Options dialog box.

To delete the Word Data registry key, follow these steps:
1.     Exit all Office programs.
2.     Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
3.     Locate the following registry subkey, as appropriate for the version of Word that you are running:
o    Word 2002:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft \Office\10.0\Word\Data
o    Word 2003:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Office\11.0\Word\Data
o    Word 2007:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Office\12.0\Word\Data
o    Word 2010:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Data
4.     Click Data, and then click Export on the File menu.
5.     Name the file Wddata.reg, and then save the file to the desktop.
6.     Click Delete on the Edit menu, and then click Yes.
7.     Exit Registry Editor.
8.     Start Word.

If Word starts and works correctly, you have resolved the problem. The problem was a damaged Word Data registry key. You may have to change several settings to restore your favorite options in Word.

Thomas P. Carter, Ph.D.

Department of Chemistry

Michigan State University

East Lansing, MI 48824-1322