Depending on her location, and the iPad she choose, she could use the AT&T 3G or Verizon 3G data network instead of a modem connected to the iPad.

The current iOS version 4.x does require you to connect the iPad to the PC/Mac for the iOS updates, however in the fall (presumably September) the iOS 5.x will update over-the-air (OTA), so no PC/Mac for iOS updates anymore.

-t