On 7/21/2011 12:00 PM, Leo Sell wrote:
> On 7/21/11 11:26 AM, Gary Schrock wrote:
>> On 7/21/2011 10:34 AM, Carl Bussema III wrote:
>>> It also means you can't use your @msu.edu <http://msu.edu> address as
>>> the "backup address" which you can use to regain access to your
>>> @gmail.com <http://gmail.com> (or other Google address) account.
>>>

>> Ok, this is the thing that I was wondering about specifically. Leo,
>> can you chip in and confirm that this statement is correct? Because
>> I'm guessing that this particular situation is probably pretty common
>> (after all, I'm guessing a fair number of people, especially
>> professors, used their msu email address as their backup email address
>> for their gmail account, and some of these people may not *have*
>> another email address to use to change it to, so I can see this being
>> something of an issue).
>>

> I THINK it's OK to use [log in to unmask] as a secondary / backup email
> address on Google accounts. I don't believe that's an issue at all. The
> PRIMARY (sign-in) cannot be [log in to unmask] without creating a conflicting
> account.

Whelp, apparently it does cause an issue.  I just got a report back from
one of my users about this.  She got the following message when she
logged in:

This account has an alternate email address, (removed). This address is
no longer available because an organization has reserved this msu.edu
email address.

You are now signed in with your primary address. Except for the removal
of the alternate email address, nothing has changed.

---

Sounds like it shouldn't be a big issue, but apparently it's also caused
some calendar sharing problems for her, not sure exactly what yet, I
need to look into it.  So this has definitely become more of a pain in
the neck as a result.  (Have to admit, I don't really understand why
this should be an issue with google, doesn't make sense to me that you
can't use a google apps address as your backup email address in an
account.  That's just poor planning on google's part.)

Thanks for the explanation for the short notice though Leo.

Gary