I have used incognito mode in chrome to run msu-google apps in parallel with
gmail. I do have to open 2 sessions/windows of chrome, rather than 2 tabs in
the same session.

-----Original Message-----
From: Leo Sell [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2011 12:00 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] question about the google apps transition thing

On 7/21/11 11:26 AM, Gary Schrock wrote:
> On 7/21/2011 10:34 AM, Carl Bussema III wrote:
>> It also means you can't use your @msu.edu <http://msu.edu> address as
>> the "backup address" which you can use to regain access to your
>> @gmail.com <http://gmail.com> (or other Google address) account.
>>

> Ok, this is the thing that I was wondering about specifically.  Leo,
> can you chip in and confirm that this statement is correct?  Because
> I'm guessing that this particular situation is probably pretty common
> (after all, I'm guessing a fair number of people, especially
> professors, used their msu email address as their backup email address
> for their gmail account, and some of these people may not *have*
> another email address to use to change it to, so I can see this being
> something of an issue).

I THINK it's OK to use [log in to unmask] as a secondary / backup email address
on Google accounts. I don't believe that's an issue at all.  The PRIMARY
(sign-in) cannot be [log in to unmask] without creating a conflicting account.

> I thought I remembered seeing something about a setting you can turn
> on to have two google accounts open in different windows of the same
> browser?  Can't remember it off the top of my head.  I have to admit,
> I generally resort to two different browsers most of the time I need
> to do this.

https://www.google.com/accounts/MultipleSessions
not a publicized or particularly recommended approach - but available.

I personally would encourage people to use separate browsers....

/L

--
Leo Sell
MSU ATS Help Desk