some corrections below.

On 7/21/11 10:22 AM, Heckaman, Timothy wrote:
> The Google apps works like this (As far as I know.)
>
> Google gives MSU some special software to run on MSU's servers. It is still tied into Googles main database but the files are held on MSU servers (I'm assuming here).
Not quite. MSU admins the Google Apps service (configures which apps to
allow access to and such) and runs SSO Authentication aspect. But the
files and data are on Google's servers. Unlike personal data, though,
the data is considered "institutional data" and is therefore NOT owned
by Google but by MSU and its users according to the terms of service
negotiated and subject to our own intellectual property rules.

> Google is now only allowing 1 email address to be in its database's at any time. So MSU is saying that it will hold ALL
This is correct - Google will only allow a single instance of a user
name (which equates to a primary sign-in email address). Because
[log in to unmask] is an institutional email address, it will be reserved for
use with the institutional Google service - in this case MSU Google Apps.
> msu.edu email addresses for their version of Google. This means that if I went to Google.com and created a personal account and had my personal files, calendaring, etc on this account that it will need to be changed because MSU is getting all the msu.edu addresses to tie into their version of Google.
>
> Basically if someone has a personal Google account on Google.com that is using the
> email address *.msu.edu then they will need to change the email address tied to that account to have access to it.

Not quite accurate. [log in to unmask] is the credential in question. An
email address for a department - *.msu.edu - is not any issue to my
knowledge. It may not be entirely wise to use that credential as your
sign-in, but from the central mail service and Google perspectives, that
would not be an issue in this regard.

--
Leo Sell
MSU ATS Help Desk