On 7/27/2011 11:27 AM, Kramer, Jack wrote:
> Really though, if an ultralight is desired - why not an 11.6" Macbook Air?
> Light, powerful, pretty easy to use, and 5hr+ battery life.

Another option is you can get refurbished Dell E4200 laptops for around
the $600 range.  I went this route myself for a laptop to travel with
because I was finding the netbook just didn't cut it.  The only way I
could tell it wasn't new was the refurbished sticker on the bottom (and
compared to the new price for those, it's a steal to get refurbished).
I think my price was $550 or so, but only came with 2G ram, so I
replaced the chip with a 4G chip for a total of 5G (1G built onto
motherboard), for a total cost of about $600.  128G SSD drive also.  Not
as fast as a truly modern computer, but I'd guess 90% of the people out
there wouldn't notice.  Weighs 2.5 pounds, and is actually 1 ounce less
than our 9" Dell netbook, and far more usable.

I'd seriously considered the Macbook Air route though but had held off
because of the price for what I wanted, I was planning on running
windows exclusively on the thing. :)