Kevin,

At 7/7/2011 05:01 PM Thursday, Kevin M. Carr wrote:
>On Jul 7, 2011, at 4:33 PM, David McFarlane wrote:
>
> > Well, I just had a phone call with someone in MSU Payroll, and
> that person explained a few things that could make a difference in
> this discussion:
> >
> > - SAP was designed for *businesses*, *not* universities.
> > - No one else makes a system designed for the practices at
> universities, so SAP was actually the best of all the admitedly
> insufficienct alternatives at the time.
>
>This explanation gets the raised eyebrow from me. The system is
>being used for the *business* operations of the University; payroll,
>human resources, budgeting, ordering, invoicing, etc. Are these
>operations at a university SO different from businesses in the
>private sector? SAP is deployed across a wide range of business
>sectors that I find it hard to believe that MSU presented a set of
>challenges unlike any encountered in previous SAP deployments.

I take your point, and I don't mean to become an apologist for SAP, I
am just trying to accurately understand the nature of the mess we are
in.  But do businesses regularly allow all of their employees at all
levels direct access to the personnel system in order to enter time
off, check vacation accruals, get earnings statements, etc.,
etc.?  Or do businesses generally leave all that to HR personnel, so
that ordinary employees can do those things only by going through a
small set of people authorized and trained for that purpose?  Maybe
that is one of the things that makes the business operations of a
university different from the business operations of a business.

-- dkm