Stefan,

Thanks for clarifying.  Hmm, so am I missing something in my use of
dhcp.msu.edu (so far I have gladly evaded any use of vpn, though I
don't know how long that will last)?  I have *never* bothered to
allow popups for dhcp.msu.edu, and AFAIK never lacked any
functionality.  Yes, from time to time I have noticed a popup from
dhcp or other MSU sites, but I have alwasy assumed that was just to
present some triviality that I could do without, and simply ignored
it with no appararent loss -- if it's something important, then a web
site should find a better way to inform me than by using a
popup.  (But at least those popups are less a nuisance than the new
browser tabs/windows in EBS, another "design feature" that completely
baffles me.)

Anyway, so do I need to configure these settings for every browser I
use (FF, IE, Safari, Opera) on every device that I use (deskttop PC,
several laptops, iPod, iPad)?  That is quite a bit of user labor just
to make things "friendly".  Seems to me that the web designers could
instead make their applications more "friendly" by not requiring
popups.  But then this is just the ranting of another simpleton user.

-- dkm