Hello:

FYI-- or if you are able to forward, it would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for any cross-postings.

Thanks,
Hillary

Healthy Food in Heath Care Program Associate

Ecology Center Job Announcement

Ann Arbor/Detroit, MI

The Ecology Center is seeking a talented person to assist our Healthy Food in Health Care Program in educating health care professionals about the link between a healthy food system and public health; in recruiting clinicians to be spokespeople and advocates for a healthier and more equitable food system within their healthcare facilities and communities; and in supporting greater engagement of health professionals with their patients around the importance of healthy, sustainable foods.

Job Responsibilities

The Program Associate will:

1.   Review and perform key education and advocacy trainings for health professionals in Detroit;

2.   Further build and connect our cross-sector network of health professionals, farmers, farmer organizations, and community-based organizations;

3.   Research and implement effective communications to targeted health professionals through presentations, articles, conferences, etc.

4.   Research and draft a report on various “prescription for health” programs and associated health impacts

5.   Recruit and support Michigan health professionals to participate in the national network of health professionals lending its influential voice to crucial food and health policy debates, including through developing guidance for health professionals on the 2012 Farm Bill.

The Healthy Food in Health Care Program Associate will join our staff working from the Ecology Center downtown Ann Arbor office, with significant time spent in Detroit. A Detroit-based position is also possible. The position offers opportunity for educational and professional development. It includes some shared organizational responsibilities and office duties. Ecology Center staff are unionized, and actively participate in organizational decision-making. This position is a great opportunity for a creative person to make a difference working with outstanding colleagues for a nationally respected public interest organization.

Qualifications

The ideal candidate for this position is passionate about supporting the development of a sustainable food system to protect public and environmental health; has experience in organizing and/or adult education, and success in non-profit environments; possesses strong writing, communication, computer, and leadership skills; and has a relevant academic background. Specifically, we are seeking an individual with the following:

·  at least 2 - 3 years of health professional experience, including clinical settings in health care facilities, community health or human nutrition, policy;

·  strong verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills, including experience in preparing and delivering presentations, and ability to communicate clinical information;

·  experience in online advocacy;

·  strong leadership skills, self-initiative, and the willingness to take risks;

·  a strong teamwork orientation and the ability to work with diverse people and community groups

·  sound judgment and good habits of consulting with others;

·  excellent organizational skills, with the ability to work independently; and,

·  tenacity in the face of challenges.

Candidates with a Masters in Nutrition, Masters in Public Health, Nursing, Health Education or Social Work are strongly encouraged to apply.

Compensation

Salary is commensurate with relevant professional experience. The Ecology Center offers very generous benefits, including medical, dental and retirement. We would entertain part-time or full-time options for this position as well as a primary home base in Ann Arbor or Detroit.

Organization

The Ecology Center is a Michigan-based environmental organization that works for a safe and healthy environment where people live, work, and play. Founded in 1970, the Ecology Center has approximately 18 staff persons.  In recent years, the Ecology Center has led successful campaigns to close down Michigan's medical waste incinerators, improve the environmental performance of the auto industry, and save thousands of acres of working farms and valuable natural areas. We have also launched the highly successful www.HealthyStuff.org consumer website and database, using our extensive expertise in toxics and chemical policy reform. Ecology Center leads the statewide coalition, the Michigan Network for Children’s Environmental Health.

Our staff members are advocates who translate cutting edge environmental science into calls for changes in policy and in the marketplace. We work in an informal, team atmosphere, where individual initiative is expected and respected. The Ecology Center is the parent organization of the non-profit, Recycle Ann Arbor, which operates the premier recycling program in the state of Michigan, and of Energy Works Michigan, a nonprofit offering energy reduction and clean energy services to schools across the state.

To Apply

Please send a cover letter, resume, and a brief current writing sample by email to Hillary Bisnett at [log in to unmask] with “HFHC Program Associate Application” in the email subject. Alternatively, please fax to (734) 663-2414 (Attn: Hillary), or mail to Ecology Center, 339 E Liberty Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48104. For more information, please call (734) 369-9282. Applications accepted until position is filled, but priority given to those received prior to July 15, 2011.

--
Hillary M. Bisnett
Healthy Food in Health Care Coordinator

Suite 312
4750 Woodward Ave
Detroit, MI 48201

734.369.9282

Michigan Regional Organizer, Health Care Without Harm

Hillary is on the Planning Team for FoodMed 2011

If you would like to access a searchable archive of the all the previous Mich-Organic listserv postings copy this URL and paste in your browser address field http://list.msu.edu/archives/mich-organic.html