Conference and J I M Special Issue on Emerging Market Firm Competitiveness:

Internationalization, Innovation and Institutions (3Is)

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, November 11-12, 2011

Sponsored by

Institute of Global Management Studies (IGMS), Fox School of Business, Temple University &

Emerging Marketing Internationalization Research Group (EMIRG), The University of Sydney Business School, University of Sydney

Convenors: Sid Gray (U Sydney), Vikas Kumar (U Sydney), Ram Mudambi (Temple)

            This conference aims to advance our understanding of EMF competitiveness by exploring the dynamic interactions amongst all the 3 I’s, internationalization, innovation and institutions. We welcome papers from a variety of contexts that advance our theoretical and empirical understanding of EMFs in the context of the 3Is. Some illustrative questions that we seek to address through this conference are:

·        What are the different types of innovation that EMFs are engaged in? How do these different innovations impact internationalization strategies of such firms? What type of innovation by EMFs is most useful for internationalizing into advanced economy markets?

·        How global is innovation activity in emerging markets? What is the role of emerging market institutions in shaping the innovative ability of EMFs as well as that of advanced economy multinationals operating in emerging markets?

·        Do innovations in emerging markets, especially those conducted by EMFs, mainly target niche markets within the domestic economy? To what extent can ‘reverse innovation’ guide the innovation strategy of both EMFs and advanced economy multinationals?

·        Is innovation by EMFs critical to their success in other emerging markets? How does innovation activity differ in its impact on internationalization strategy of different types of EMFs based on firm size, industry, group affiliation and other firm level characteristics?

·        What specific facets of internationalization strategy – entry mode, scale of entry, foreign partner choice, bargaining power with foreign entities including government institutions, short term returns, long term success, and the like – are most impacted through the innovative activity of emerging market firms?

·        How does innovation being conducted by foreign multinational firms in emerging markets spillover to other emerging market firms? Does it affect their internationalization strategy and if so, how?

Guidelines and Information
Please submit an extended abstract of 800 – 1000 words (3 – 5 double spaced pages) by August 29, 2011.  Contributors will receive decisions by September 19, 2011.

Confirmed participants are required to register.  Registration is free for presenting participants and includes lunches, coffee breaks and the conference dinner on November 11.

The best papers in the conference will be considered for inclusion in a special issue of the Journal of International Management.  Further details will be circulated in due course.

Confirmed Participants include Garry Bruton (Texas Christian), Jonathan Doh, (Villanova), Susan Feinberg (Temple), Mike Kotabe (Temple), John Paul MacDuffie, (Wharton, University of Pennsylvania), Donald Siegel, (U Albany - SUNY), Stephen Tallman (Richmond).

Please direct any questions regarding the conference to one of the convenors.

Sid Gray: [log in to unmask]

Vikas Kumar: [log in to unmask]

--
Ram Mudambi
Professor and Perelman Senior Research Fellow