Stabenow’s Committee Staff has informed me that you DO need to RSVP for the event, EVEN IF YOU RSVP’D for the cancelled Hearing.

You DON’T need to resubmit questions or testimonies that were submitted for the original Hearing.

Senate Agriculture Committee Field Hearing
Tuesday, May 31, 2011
9:00 am – 12:00 pm
Kellogg Center, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI

http://www.kelloggcenter.com/about/location.html

Congress considers the Farm Bill only once every five years. As you know, this legislation has broad implications for agriculture as well as sweeping impact on our energy, conservation, rural development, research, forestry and nutrition policies. This is your opportunity to make your voice heard and to be a part of the official record of committee debate.

You may participate in the hearing by submitting written testimony which will be included in the official record of the hearing. Three copies of your testimony can be submitted at the hearing or can be sent to the Committee no later than June 7, 2011. You may also submit questions for possible consideration by the panel members during a limited question and answer period before May 26, 2011. Send your testimony or questions to
[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask] or to US Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry, 328A Russell Senate Office Bldg, Washington, D.C. 20510.  If you previously submitted testimony and questions, there is no need to resubmit.

For up-to-date information on the hearing and Farm Bill process, you can visit the Senate Agriculture Committee website at ag.senate.gov.

To RSVP for the hearing, contact the Agriculture Committee Office at 202-224-2035 or email
[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]. YOU MUST REGISTER TO ATTEND THE SESSION!

USDA Seeks Nominations for National Organic Advisory Board

WASHINGTON, April 1, 2011 --The U.S. Department of Agriculture is seeking nominations to fill five imminent vacancies on the National Organic Standards Board (NOSB).

Vacancies for the 15-member organic advisory board need to be filled for an organic producer, organic handler, consumer/public interest representative, scientist, and environmentalist. The positions are specifically designated to represent various sectors of the organic industry, including those who own or operate an organic production or handling operation, represent public interest or consumer interest groups, have expertise in areas of environmental protection and resource conservation, or have expertise in fields of toxicology, ecology, or biochemistry.

The NOSB is responsible for developing and recommending to the Secretary a proposed National List of Allowed and Prohibited Substances and advising the Secretary on other aspects of the organic regulations.

Appointed persons will serve a 5-year term of office beginning Jan. 24, 2012.

Written nominations, with cover letters and resumes, must be postmarked on or before July 17, 2011. Nominations can also include endorsements or letters of recommendations. All applicable information should be sent to Katherine E. Benham, National Organic Program, USDA–AMS–NOP, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW., Room 2646–S, Ag Stop 0268, Washington, D.C.  20250. For more information, contact Katherine Benham at (202) 205–7806; e-mail: [log in to unmask]; or fax: (202) 205–7808.

USDA will adhere to all equal opportunity practices when appointing members to the board to account the needs of the diverse groups served by the NOP.

Follow us on Twitter to receive the latest press release, stories, and important updates about the Agricultural Marketing Service at http://twitter.com/USDA_AMS_NEWS.

USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write to USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Ave., S.W., Washington, DC 20250-9410, or call (800) 795-3272 (Voice) or (202) 720-6382 (TDD).

It would be great if the panel received a number of questions about organics. Here is a sample question which you could submit: "Organic agriculture is one of the fastest growing sectors of agriculture, creating jobs in rural America and lucrative market opportunities for American family farmers. How can we promote and protect organic farming and farmers in the 2012 Farm Bill?"

Written Testimony will be extremely important as well. So please submit it if you can.

Why you Should Come:
Negotiations are already under way to determine what will and will not be included in the 2012 Farm Bill. Substantial budget cuts are being proposed, both to mandatory 2008 Farm Bill programs, and to programs that would likely otherwise be included in the 2012 Farm Bill. We understand the need to reduce spending, but Congress should take a fair and balanced approach, and not only single out specific programs that benefit organic farmers. We need Senator’s Stabenow and Roberts to see how much support there is for protecting funding for organic agriculture and conservation programs in the next Farm Bill. We need you, the farmers and farm supporters, to show up.

What’s at Stake:
A few of the organic programs that are funded in the 2008 Farm Bill that need to be re-funded in the 2012 Farm Bill include the following:

·  Organic Agriculture Research and Extension Initiative (OREI)
Administered by USDA’s National Institute of Food and Agriculture, OREI is USDA’s flagship competitive grants program dedicated to organic research and extension activities.  OREI funds research projects on organic agricultural systems, ranging from improving weed management and developing organic seed to enhancing environmental sustainability and carbon sequestration on organic farms.

·  National Organic Certification Cost-share Program (NOCCSP)
This cost-share program helps certified organic farmers and handlers offset the costs of certification by providing a small reimbursement of no more that $750 per year.

·  Organic Production and Market Data Initiatives (ODI)
A small but significant initiative, ODI received $5 million over five years in the last farm bill to fund basic USDA data collection on the organic sector.

·  Environmental Quality Incentives Program Organic Initiative (EQIP OI) and Conservation Stewardship Program (CSP)
USDA National Resource Conservation Programs that provide financial incentives for farmers to conserve land for environmental benefits and to implement practices, such as organic agricultural methods, that are environmentally sustainable.

·  National Organic Program (NOP)
NOP enforces the national organic program standards, accredits certifiers, develops equivalency agreements, handles complaints – in essence, NOP ensures the integrity of the organic seal.

USDA Explains Decision On Roundup Ready Alfalfa

Source: USDA

http://www.no-tillfarmer.com/pages/USDA-Explains-Decision-On-Alfalfa,-Re-establishes-Research-Committees.php

WASHINGTON, (Jan. 27, 2010) — The U.S. Department of Agriculture's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) today announced its decision to grant non-regulated status for alfalfa that has been genetically engineered to be resistant to the herbicide commercially known as Roundup.

"After conducting a thorough and transparent examination of alfalfa through a multi-alternative environmental impact statement (EIS) and several public comment opportunities, APHIS has determined that Roundup Ready alfalfa is as safe as traditionally bred alfalfa," Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said.

"All of the alfalfa production stakeholders involved in this issue have stressed their willingness to work together to find solutions. We greatly appreciate and value the work they've done so far and will continue to provide support to the wide variety of sectors that make American agriculture successful."

After releasing a final EIS in December 2010, USDA took another step to ensure that this issue received the broadest examination before making its final decision. USDA brought together a diverse group of stakeholders to discuss feasible strategies for coexistence between genetically engineered (GE), organic, and other non-GE stakeholders.

The stakeholders helped to identify areas of consensus; issues where the group disagreed and opportunities for further dialogue exist; and areas where USDA could — or should — play an important and helpful role.

·       Reestablishing two important USDA advisory committees - Advisory Committee on Biotechnology and 21st Century Agriculture, and the National Genetic Resources Advisory Committee.

·       These two committees will tackle a broad range of issues, from ensuring the availability of high quality seed, to helping ensure that growers have access to the best tools available to support their production choices, to whether risk management and indemnification options can play a role;

·       Conducting research into areas such as ensuring the genetic integrity, production and preservation of alfalfa seeds entrusted to the germplasm system;

·       Refining and extending current models of gene flow in alfalfa;

·       Requesting proposals through the Small Business Innovation Research program to improve handling of forage seeds and detection of transgenes in alfalfa seeds and hay; and,

·       Providing voluntary, third-party audits and verification of industry-led stewardship initiatives.

APHIS' deregulation of Roundup ready alfalfa will become effective upon publication of the Agency's determination of nonregulated status in the Federal Register. USDA's Record of Decision on RR alfalfa is available to the public at http://www.aphis.usda.gov/

MSU Extension and Michigan dairy farmers partner on developing more efficient water-use practices

Contact:  Sara Long

517-432-1555, ext. 230

            EAST LANSING, Mich. – Here’s a quick question: what’s the first thing a person thinks of when picturing a gallon of milk in the grocery store refrigerator case or envisioning a tall, cold glass of milk and a plate of freshly baked cookies on the kitchen table? Though a majority wouldn’t answer the question with “water,” perhaps they should. Not only is milk 87 percent water, but farmers need ready access to water to produce milk.

            Michigan State University (MSU) Extension researchers, with funding support from the Animal Agriculture Initiative (AAI), Michigan’s livestock research and Extension initiative at MSU, are partnering with dairy farmers across the state to calculate how much water is used on farms and how it’s used. The data will be used to come up with more efficient water-use practices.

            The dairy industry is the largest segment of the agriculture industry, which is the second largest in the state– it contributes nearly $6 billion to the state’s economy every year – and it’s also one of the state’s biggest water users. An estimated 7 billion gallons of water is consumed every year by the state’s dairy industry for a variety of uses from drinking water – one dairy cow drinks an average of 50 gallons of water per day – to keeping milking equipment and milking areas clean and managing animal waste.

            Roberta Osborne, MSU Extension dairy educator and one of the project’s lead researchers, says the goal is to establish ways to achieve greater sustainability of water resources while also improving the bottom line for dairy farmers.

            “The goal is to establish standard evaluation methods so dairy producers can determine where and how much water is being used on the operation,” she explains. “This check-and-balance system will help farmers figure out if, where and how water is being wasted so they can eliminate those routines and replace them with other practices that will use water more efficiently.”

            Ken Nobis, St. Johns dairy farmer and president of the Michigan Milk Producers Association (MMPA), emphasizes that developing and adopting good water conservation practices benefits both the farm and the farmer. He believes that MMPA members will welcome the opportunity to evaluate water usage on their dairies and learn how to more effectively manage its use.

            “We realize that the access Michigan dairy farmers have to an ample supply of fresh water gives us a distinct advantage in milk production, and we don’t take that for granted,” he said. “We are looking forward to working with the MSU researchers to implement water conservation measures that will allow us to more effectively use one of the state’s most important natural resources.”

            Osborne adds that the dairy industry is important to Michigan and keeping it sustainable by ensuring the availability of an adequate water supply is a priority.

            “This research is important because we need to continually be finding more effective and efficient ways to produce high quality milk while efficiently using our precious water resources,” she says.

            The Michigan Animal Agriculture Initiative at MSU is vital to the health of the state’s economy. A survey commissioned by the AAI in 2007 revealed that nearly $22.9 million in annual economic activity can be linked back to the initiative. AAI-funded research adds $11.5 million annually to the state’s economy, and for every state tax dollar invested in the AAI, the initiative returns $3.40 in gross state product.

            More than 200 research projects have been funded by the AAI since the initiative was established in 1996 as part of the grass-roots-driven Revitalization of Animal Agriculture in Michigan Initiative.

            To learn more about the AAI, visit www.aai.msu.edu.

Michigan AGRICULTURE ENVIRONMENTAL BOARD LAUNCHED

The Michigan Agriculture Environmental Assurance Program Advisory Council, created under the first two acts signed by Governor Rick Snyder, began its work Friday, April 1, 2011.

The council, charged with developing recommendations for standards and verification practices, will consist of Agriculture and Rural Development Director Keith Creagh, Environmental Quality Director Dan Wyant, and Michigan State University Extension Director Thomas Coon, as well as the following appointees, each serving terms expiring March 31, 2014:

Production News

Holding Transplants

With our late and wet spring many vegetable growers are faced with the challenge to hold their transplants. Here is an approach to delay premature flowering. This tool is also good if you are selling transplants at markets and want to maximize duration of quality plants.

Question: I’m interested in the recommendations from various states on holding vegetable transplants when field conditions delay transplanting.  This would include both holding them in the transplant greenhouse and if they’ve already been shipped to the grower, how the growers should “store” them.  The last Ontario research on these topics was done in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

> Also, if you have any research reports or references you could share, I’d be appreciative, too.

Answer: If they are in the greenhouse, any DIF they can pull off will reduce stretching. Michigan and Ontario probably have this down cold by now. I can offer my simplified and approximate interpretation of MSU and Minnesota research, applied specifically to holding vegetable transplants in May. I hope our experts chime in with detail.

Turn up the heat at about 1 am. At dawn, shut off the heat and open the vents to bring the temperature down by 10-15 degrees F. The exact temperature values depend on the normal inside temp and the ambient temperature at dawn, and what you pay for heat.

The wasted energy is awful, but the technique is pretty simple.

From:  Thomas Bjorkman [[log in to unmask]]

Prevent soil compaction, practice patience

Think twice before driving into wet fields, soil compaction could rob yields as much as or more than late planting.

Published May 4, 2011

Emily Sneller, Michigan State University Extension

This spring season has been good for one thing: rain. The high rainfall volumes throughout Michigan have saturated our soils keeping producers out of the field and pushing planting dates later and later. While earlier planting dates correlate with higher yields, entering into fields while they are too wet can result in soil compaction damage that could reduce yields even further. For best results this season, practice that virtue called patience in the coming days.

Soil compaction happens most readily in fine textured soils or when your soils are at or near field capacity.  These conditions often correlate to the first day a tractor can work in a field without getting stuck. When soil becomes compacted it reduces the amount of pore space in your soil, destroys soil structure, and increases the bulk density. This results in soils with reduced root, air, and water infiltration causing stunted root growth and ponding within fields. Additionally, reduced pore space lowers the capacity of your soil to hold water and air and lowers the availability and accessibility of nutrients to plant roots.

The changes to your soil caused by soil compaction have a large effect on plant growth, development, and ultimately yield. Studies have shown that in less than optimal growing conditions, compacted soils produce yields 10 to 20 percent lower than on un-compacted soils. Should optimal growing conditions exist in a year, adequate moisture, fertility, and management can overcome or mask compaction losses. The question to ask is: How often do we have optimal growing conditions?

The best plan of action to prevent soil compaction is simple: don’t drive on your fields when the soil is too wet. A simple method to determine your ground’s moisture level is the “ball test.” Pick up a handful of soil and form a ball. If the ball holds its form without breaking apart, your ground is too wet for traffic. Additionally, the majority of compaction happens within the first one or two passes, thus reusing the same wheel tracks within a field is a good way to minimize compaction. Finally, remember that spreading the weight of your equipment over a larger surface area reduces pressure on the soil. When possible use larger diameter wheel rims and larger tires to help spread the weight out.

Planting date plays a large role in yield production and ultimately profitability. However, don’t let impatience put you in the field a day too early, compacting your soils and reducing your yields even more.

Asiatic garden beetle, a new pest in Southwest Michigan

An update on this new pest of corn, potatoes and alfalfa in southwest Michigan

Published May 3, 2011

Bruce Mackellar, Michigan State University Extension

We recently had a question about Asiatic garden beetle larval feeding in potatoes in Southwest Michigan. The following article describes some of the challenges we have seen from the pest in the region on various crops.

Asiatic Garden Beetle (AGB) is a new invasive species that was first found in Michigan in significant numbers in 2007. The pest came into the state from Indiana, which is just the latest westward expansion of its range from the northeastern US where it was first found in the 1920’s. Adult Asiatic garden beetles are similar in shape to Japanese beetles, but are somewhat smaller and are an iridescent cinnamon color. In our experience, the larval feeding in potatoes typically causes round to oblong pock marks on the surface of potato tubers about 1/4 - 3/8 of an inch deep. Growers reported seeing an unusual number of white grub larvae on the belts of potato harvest trucks in 2007 and 2008. The pest can impact frying quality in chipping potatoes by causing a darkening near the feeding site. To read the rest of this report, including photos visit: http://news.msue.msu.edu/news/article/asiatic_garden_beetle_a_new_pest_in_southwest_michigan .-

New vegetable insect pest predictive tools available on Enviro-weather

New Enviro-weather features will help vegetable growers determine best time for scouting.

Published May 4, 2011

Beth Bishop, Enviro-weather Coordinator

New tools on Enviro-weather (www.Enviroweather.msu.edu) can now help vegetable growers determine when to scout for cabbage maggot, seed-corn maggot, variegated cutworm and squash vine borer.  Enviro-weather uses data collected by its network of weather stations and uses it to predict when damaging stages of these insects may be present.

Unlike us, insects are “cold-blooded”; their growth and activity depends on external temperatures.  How quickly they develop depends directly on the amount of heat that accumulates over a certain base temperature.  We know that we can use accumulated heat (as measured by “degree-days”) to predict the appearance of many species of insects, diseases and weeds.

Past research has produced predictive models, based on degree-days for vegetable insect pests.  To make sure these predictions are accurate under Michigan conditions, MSU researchers and MSUE educators have collected data on the timing of occurrence of several vegetable pests and compared it to model predictions.  After several years of this, we were able to produce pest prediction tools for Enviro-weather.

Check out these new tools by going to the Enviro-weather home page (www.Enviroweather.msu.edu).

Spotted Wing Drosophila Workshops and Information –a potential NEW pest on soft-bodied fruit

Here is a web site that contains information and links for growers and homeowners about a new invasive pest in Michigan, the Spotted Wing Drosophila. http://www.ipm.msu.edu/SWD.htm You will find a video on how to effectively monitor your orchard for this pest, by Dr. Rufus Isaacs at MSU.

Background
The Spotted Wing Drosophila (SWD) is a vinegar fly of East Asian origin that can cause damage to many fruit crops. This small insect has been in Hawaii since the 1980s, was detected in California in 2008, spread through the West Coast last year, and was detected in Florida, Utah, and the Carolinas this year (2010). Because the flies are only a few millimeters long and cannot fly very far, natural dispersion between states is unlikely. Human-assisted transportation is a more likely cause of the recent rapid spread.

What crops are affected?
In other regions, SWD has been reported in most berry crops, grapes, cherries and many other tree fruits, with a preference for softer-fleshed fruit.

New seed corn maggot tool available on Enviro-weather

New tool predicts that seed corn maggot is flying and laying eggs in most locations in Michigan’s Lower Peninsula.

Published May 5, 2011

Beth Bishop, MSU Enviro-weather

Unlike most of us, seed corn maggots thrive during cool, wet springs. A new, predictive tool on Enviro-weather can help growers determine when adult seed corn maggot flies are laying eggs, as a guide to help time scouting and planting activities.

The seed corn maggot tool predicts when certain life stages will occur based on heat accumulation (degree-days) from data recorded by local weather stations The table shows key events in the lifecycle and predicted timing of such events. The current status of the pest is given right below the table, along with current degree-day accumulations. As with all predictive models, microclimate and other factors may influence exact timing of events, and these predictions should only be used as a guide to help plan scouting and field activities. To see photos and diagrams and more info visit: http://news.msue.msu.edu/news/article/new_seed_corn_maggot_tool_available_on_enviro_weather

Information and Educational Opportunities USDA Seeks Nominations for National Organic Advisory Board

[...]

Spotted Wing Drosophila Monitoring Workshop (a concern for all farmers growing soft fleshed fruit)

Michigan State University 2011 Hands-on tree fruit IPM update series

At various locations throughout Michigan- Feel free to attend the meetings at any location or time that is convenient for you!

Leelanau County
Location: Jim and Jan Bardenhagen, 7881 Pertner Rd, Suttons Bay.
Dates: May 11, May 18, May 25, June 1, June 8, June 15, June 22, June 29
Time: 12 p.m. to 2 p.m.

Grand Traverse County
Location: Josh Wunsch Farm, Phelps Road Packing Shed, Old Mission
Dates: May 11, May 18, May 25, June 1, June 8, June 15, June 22, June 29
Time: 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.

Benzie County
Location: Loy Putney Farms, 4286 Raymond Rd, Frankfort
Dates: May 10, May 24, June 7, June 21
Time: 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.

Antrim County
Location: Jack White Farm, M-31, south of Elk Rapids on the southeast side of M-31
Dates: May 10, May 24, June 7, June 21
Time: 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.

Why: Come discuss pest problems and management strategies. Growers are encouraged to bring examples of pests and damage found on the farm to the meetings for identification and discussion. Each week will focus on a different time in the season and distinct weather patterns, which in turn will present a unique set of pest problems and management strategies that will be discussed.

How: Meetings are Free of Charge and no registration necessary. Pesticide recertification credits and certified crop advisor continued education credits will be available. Feel free to attend the meetings at any location or time that is convenient for you!

For more information, contact Erin Lizotte at [log in to unmask] or 231-946-1510.

Source: MSU Extension News for Agriculture, http://news.msue.msu.edu/news/article/2011_hands_on_tree_fruit_ipm_update_series

MSU Offered SWD Classroom Workshops

When/where: Trevor Nichols Research Complex (6237 124th Avenue, Fennville, MI 49408)

Why: Learn about the biology, monitoring, scouting, fruit sampling and information sources for this new insect. The workshop will use presentations, microscopes and hands-on samples to show participants how to implement an IPM program for spotted wing drosophila in fruit crops.

How:  To register or for more information contact Carlos Garcia, [log in to unmask].

ALSO:

When:  June 1, 2011, from 1:00 – 4:00pm

Where: Trevor Nichols Research Complex (6237 124th Avenue, Fennville, MI 49408)

Why:  All participants in the above workshops are invited back to TNRC for a hands-on session on trap placement, checking, recharging, and how to handle samples in the field.

How:  To register or for more information contact Carlos Garcia, [log in to unmask].

Source:  MSU Integrated Pest Management Resources, http://www.ipm.msu.edu/SWD/SWD-meetings.htm.

New England Grain Conference: Bread, Beer and Biodiversity

July 14 - 15, 2011

UMass Farm and Colrain Seed Farm

Register: growseed.org

Join us at a regional event on growing organic landrace grains, share skills to reinvigorate heritage grain traditions, exchange seeds, learn how to bake artisan bread in a wood-fired oven, brew artisan beer, and celebrate the

harvest. For more information visit the website www.growseed.org

Marketing Opportunities

Mason Farmers Market

This market is accepting vendors for the produce market starting July 9 through October 2, on the courthouse square.  This is a strictly produce/value added market - can include syrup/honey/jam/cottage foods/flowers/plants.

I'm market master, so feel free to contact: [log in to unmask]

Elaine Ferris

 PS - yes, we're strictly farm grown and farmer-direct.

The Dundee Farmers Market is going into its second year

This market is opens on Saturday, May 21. We had a great first year with an average 18 vendors and gross sales of $60,000. We are looking for vendors in the following areas:

Cheese

Milk

Gourmet Coffee

Salsa

USDA Chicken and Beef

Food prepared on site for immediate consumption

We are a small market in a small community in one of the most prolific agricultural counties in the state, but we have big aspirations!

Always looking for free and near free musicians that can play the market on Saturdays.

See our very nice looking web site:

www.dundeefarmersmarket.com

or www.facebook.com/dundeefarmersmarket

Sean McClellan

Dundee Farmers Market

(734) 529-2688

The Benton Harbor Farmers Market is seeking additional for vendors for the 2011 market season!

This is the 2nd year that the market will be located in City Center Park in downtown Benton Harbor (corner of Pipestone and Main St.). The market is held Mondays and Wednesdays from 12pm to 6pm beginning June 27. Our market is the recipient of a USDA Farmers Market Promotion Program grant allowing us to have extensive marketing this year.

Please join us as we grow our market and serve low-income families living in a food desert!

For more information, please contact me at 269-927-5639 or [log in to unmask].

Nicki Britten, MPH

Epidemiologist and

Benton Harbor Farmer Market Manager

Berrien County Health Department

769 Pipestone, P.O. Box 706

Benton Harbor, MI 49022

Phone: 269.927.5639

Fax: 269.926.8129

Tour of MSU’s organic vegetable and fruit research

At the Annual Ag Expo in East Lansing, MI on the north-west side of campus (corner of Farm Lane and Mount Hope Rd)

The 32nd annual Ag Expo is scheduled for July 19-21, 2011 on the Michigan State University (MSU) campus, located at the corner of Farm Lane and Mount Hope Road in East Lansing. Ag Expo is Michigan’s largest outdoor farm show. Admission and parking for the event are free.

The 2011 show hours are:

·         Tuesday, July 19, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

·         Wednesday, July 20, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

·         Thursday, July 21, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Visitors can view demonstrations and exhibits featuring the latest university research, equipment, vehicles and other products and services of interest to farmers and agribusinesses.

In addition, Ag Expo will feature the FFA State Tractor Driving Contest on Tuesday, followed by the tractor pull coordinated by the Leslie Tractor Club and Mid-Michigan Tractor Pullers Association on Wednesday and Thursday. Corn seed plots will also be featured on the west end of the grounds.

Of most interest to organic growers is our first time tour of organic research at MSU, including research under Haygrove tunnels of raspberries and cherries and research on field grown organic blueberries, vegetables on plastic mulch and covers crops for weed management in vegetables (read on for details).

For details on the entire show visit: http://agexpo.msu.edu/agexpo/home

Organic Field Tour Additional Information

The Michigan State University Ag Expo Tour Description follows: - July 20, 11am-12:30pm

Come see and hear about some of the organic fruit and vegetable research that is happening at MSU.  This tour will include a 1 acre, 3-season hightunnel (hoophouse) planted in raspberries and cherries used for season extension, increased yields, and pest and disease management; a blueberry plot where we will talk about pest and disease management and pollination; and a pepper and cucumber research project using black plastic mulch and multiple combinations of vetch and rye cover crops for fertility and weed control.
-Researchers include:
 Department of Horticulture - Greg Lang, Eric Hanson, Dan Brainard, Mathieu Ngouajio, Zack Hayden, , Josh Moses, John Biernbaum
 Department of Plant Pathology - Annemiek Schilder
 Department of Entomology - Matt Grieshop, Rufus Isaacs
 Department of Community, Agriculture, Recreation, and Resource Studies - Vicki Morrone

Calendar of Tours at the MSU Student Organic Farm

If you have a group or by yourself and want to see what is happening at the Student Organic Farm, take a look at the dates below for such an opportunity. You will be offered the chance to see the hoophouses, ranging from self-made to sophisticated kits in production, organic vegetable production in fields, small poultry operation, maybe piglets (depending on how soon you go) and of course have your questions answered by MSU Student Organic Farm educators and students. If you want to learn more about the SOF visit their website at http://www.msuorganicfarm.org/.  Below are the dates of scheduled tours this season: To register just click on the (Register) next to the date you want to attend.

MSU Student Organic Farm Tour  (Register)
Event: tour
When: May 10 3:30-5pm
Where: MSU Student Organic Farm, 3291 College Rd, Holt, MI 48842

MSU Student Organic Farm Tour  (Register)
Event: tour
When: June 22 10:30am-12 (noon)
Where: MSU Student Organic Farm, 3291 College Rd, Holt, MI 48842

MSU Student Organic Farm Tour  (Register)
Event: tour
When: July 12 6-8pm
Where: MSU Student Organic Farm, 3291 College Rd, Holt, MI 48842

MSU Student Organic Farm Tour  (Register)
Event: tour
When: August 23 6-8pm
Where: MSU Student Organic Farm, 3291 College Rd, Holt, MI 48842

MSU Student Organic Farm Tour  (Register)
Event: tour
When: September 30, 2011 12:30-2:30pm
Where: MSU Student Organic Farm, 3291 College Rd, Holt, MI 48842

MSU Student Organic Farm Tour  (Register)
Event: tour
When: December 5, 2011 10-11am
Where: MSU Student Organic Farm, 3291 College Rd, Holt, MI 48842

MSU Student Organic Farm Tour  (Register)
Event: tour
When: February 7, 2012 2:30-3:30pm
Where: MSU Student Organic Farm, 3291 College Rd, Holt, MI 48842

Grant Opportunities

The Organic Farming Research Foundation (OFRF) announces new grant year.

The OFRF is proud to announce it has awarded 314 grants totaling close to $2.7 million as it begins its 21st year.  The organization most recently awarded 7 new grants totaling $75,000 in California, Massachusetts, Michigan, North Dakota, Washington, and Ottawa, Canada as part of its spring 2011 grants cycle. The next deadline for applications is May 16. Visit ofrf.org for info on applying for a grant. Note that farmers are ENCOURAGED to apply. You can work with other farmers, researchers or educators to address a research question you have about organic production or marketing. To apply for a grant with OFRF visit their website at http://ofrf.org/grants/apply.html. the next deadlines are May 16 and November 15, 2011.

Grants for Schools to help with a Farm to School program.

The deadline is May 16th and funds are up to $2000 and available for use during the 2011-12 school year.  This is the mini-grants program for Farm to School projects. Here is the link for additional information, guidance and an application form. Here is the link, just scroll down the page to find the PDFs for this grant program. http://www.michiganorganic.msu.edu/

Job Opportunities

Position: Upper Midwest Field Organizer, Organic Farming Research Foundation

Location: Southern Michigan, preferably Lansing or Ann Arbor

Application Deadline: May 25, 2011

Job Description

Organic Farming Research Foundation (OFRF) seeks to hire an experienced organizer to work on the ground in Michigan and Ohio to organize support for organic and cultivate congressional champions in the 2012 Farm Bill. OFRF has identified Michigan and Ohio as two top states with significant representation on congressional agriculture committees charged with drafting the 2012 Farm Bill. The Upper Midwest Field Organizer ensures that organic family farmers, organic farming advocates, consumers, and other diverse stakeholders in Michigan and Ohio actively participate in the 2012 Farm Bill process. OFRF is gearing up for its 2012 Farm Bill campaign, and the Upper Midwest Field Organizer will be responsible for building our Michigan and Ohio networks and strategically engaging organic family farmers and advocates throughout the farm bill debate.

The Upper Midwest Field Organizer is a part-time, 40 hours per month position.

For information on applying for this job and requirements visit http://www.michiganorganic.msu.edu/michiganorganic/job_opportunities_farmers_markets and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Farming and Food System Job Opportunities

As summer rolls around the corner and farms are gearing into overdrive, we wanted to take a quick minute to remind everyone about the Sustainable Food Jobs blog. SFJ features opportunities at small farms, non-profits and farmers' markets across America - for free! To supplement the bevy of job opportunities, SFJ also hosts a College & Beyond section with comprehensive information on higher education programs that focus on sustainable food and agroecology. Feel free to spread the word to any farmers in need of apprentices, or apprentices-to-be in need of farmers!

If you're interested in listing a position with SFJ, please send a full job description either embedded in the body of an e-mail or as a .doc attachment to: [log in to unmask]

thank you,
the SFJ blog | [log in to unmask]
http://sustainablefoodjobs.wordpress.com
follow us: @theSFJblog

Position Description

Academic Specialist – Healthy Living

C.S. Mott Group for Sustainable Food Systems at Michigan State University

This Outreach Specialist position, focused on healthy living, will help to implement Michigan’s Good Food Charter and to enhance healthy eating and living in regional and local food systems. The appointee will be a member of the C.S. Mott Group for Sustainable Food Systems at Michigan State University, which engages communities in applied research and outreach to promote sustainable food systems.  The group’s goal is to improve access and availability of locally produced food. Planning is currently underway for the Mott Group to become integrated with others at MSU to develop a Center for Regional/Sustainable Food Systems that will continue and broaden the work of the Mott Group. When that occurs, the appointee will become one of two Senior Associate Directors.

MSU is committed to attracting and retaining top quality faculty and staff. This goal is supported by offering a wide array of options, including health and dental coverage, retirement programs, and continuing educational benefits. The beauty of the MSU campus and surrounding areas including the Red Cedar River, Beal Botanical Gardens, Beaumont Tower and the entire City of East Lansing make Michigan State a wonderful place to work. And not only is MSU a great place to work, but the surrounding East Lansing Community is a great place to live with many housing resources. MSU was named among the nation's top 29 most "family friendly colleges and universities." Diversity in the faculty, students and staff is a major source of Michigan State University's intellectual vitality and innovative spirit. MSU strives to be a community where people of different cultures, intellectual positions, and lifestyles can reach their potential.

For additional information, please see:

            Mott Group: www.mottgroup.msu.edu

            MSU Student Organic Farm: www.msuorganicfarm.org

            Department of CARRS: www.carrs.msu.edu

            Michigan Good Food Charter: www.michiganfood.org

Position: Specialist-Outreach, C.S. Mott Group for Sustainable Food Systems, Department of Community, Agriculture, Recreation and Resource Studies (MSU Posting Number 4627)

Available: July 1, 2011 or when a suitable candidate is identified.

Application deadline: May 15, 2011 or until a suitable candidate is identified.

Starting salary: Commensurate with education and experience up to $90,000.

Qualifications:

  1. Master’s degree or equivalent in health, urban/regional planning, nutrition or a related field.
  2. Strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
  3. Demonstrated leadership and organizational skills and ability to manage multiple priorities.
  4. Demonstrated ability to work in a team environment.
  5. Demonstrated ability to synthesize and analyze disparate information.
  6. Demonstrated ability to conduct qualitative and quantitative research, to analyze data, to produce publications and instructional materials for the academic community and the broader public and to communicate findings through presentations.
  7. Demonstrated ability to work with diverse and underserved communities.
  8. Knowledge and effective use of information technology to complete job requirements.
  9. Availability for periodic travel within US and for evening and weekend work as required.
  10. Personal mobility.
  11. Understanding of and commitment to equal opportunity and non-discrimination.

Job Summary:

  1. Work with the Director, Senior Associate Director and staff to develop and implement vision, mission, and a long-term programmatic plan. The plan will include building partnerships within MSU, other Michigan universities, colleges, state agencies and other levels of government, and non-profits to implement Michigan’s Good Food Charter.
  2. Work with the Director, Senior Associate Director, staff and others to develop and implement long-term strategy for implementation of the Michigan Good Food Charter.
  3. Develop and implement a long-term strategic plan for communities-of-practice network development in the broad area of ‘healthy living’.
  4. Work with the Director to identify research partners across MSU and implement research activities relevant to these communities-of-practice.
  5. Develop and implement a long term funding plan that identifies, secures, and/or leverages resources for research, outreach, and community-driven activities across Michigan for sustainable, community-based food systems within these communities-of-practice.
  6. Oversee selected personnel and work with them to continually identify synergistic activities and to help secure the necessary support.
  7. Work with the Director and other administrators to recruit and hire staff.
  8. Oversee development and implementation of an evaluation program for these Communities of Practice.
  9. Conduct collaborative food systems research within one or more focus areas.
  10. Represents the Center and the Director at meetings, events and other functions in the Director’s absence.
  11. Will report to Mike Hamm, C.S. Mott Endowed Chair of Sustainable Agriculture.

Applications:  Due May 15, 2011 or until a suitable candidate is identified. MSU is an affirmative-action, equal-opportunity employer and is committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity. The university actively encourages applications and/or nominations of women, persons of color, veterans and persons with disabilities. Michigan State University employment opportunities are open to eligible/qualified persons without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, religion, age, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, marital status, or family status. Persons with disabilities have the right to request and receive reasonable accommodations.

Please apply electronically at https://jobs.msu.edu, following directions on the MSU Applicant Page (MAP), and referring to MSU Posting #4627. Submit, via MAP, 1) a letter of application; 2) your vita; 3) a writing sample; and 4) a statement of your research interests. Three letters of reference will be requested at a later time

Direct questions regarding the position or search process to: Mike Hamm, C.S. Mott Endowed Professor of Sustainable Agriculture, [log in to unmask], phone 517-432-1611 or fax 517-353-3834.

Vicki Morrone

C. S. Mott Group for Sustainable Food Systems

Outreach Specialist for Organic Vegetable and Field Crops

303 Natural Resources

East Lansing, MI 48824

517-353-3542/517-282-3557 (cell)

517-353-3834 (Fax)

www.MichiganOrganic.msu.edu

If you would like to access a searchable archive of the all the previous Mich-Organic listserv postings copy this URL and paste in your browser address field http://list.msu.edu/archives/mich-organic.html