Hello Everyone,
I apologize for cross-posting, but the following opportunities are inclusive of a wide research population.  Some of you may get this more than once, but please send this to anyone who may have a special interest in any of the following opportunities.

I would like to announce two new diversity-related opportunities for students and educators at the Geological Society of America Annual Meeting this fall in Minneapolis, MN, October 9-12.

Sharon Locke (Southern Illinois University Edwardsville) and I are leading a session designed for access, accommodation and inclusion for students with physical disabilities in our geoscience courses.  Anyone with experiences in promoting the geosciences to students with disabilities is highly encouraged to submit an abstract to this session.  Student abstracts are equally encouraged!  Whoever has struggled to make their geoscience coursework accessible should attend this session!

T162. Increasing Accessible Opportunities in the Geosciences for Students with Disabilities: Current Research and Best Practices
GSA Geoscience Education Division; National Earth Science Teachers Association; National Association of Geoscience Teachers; GSA Diversity in the Geosciences Committee; International Advisory for Geoscience Diversity
Christopher Atchison, Sharon Locke
Geoscience educators and students are encouraged to disseminate research findings and experiences in making geoscience curriculum accessible for participants with physical disabilities. This session will also promote awareness of the need to increase accessibility in the geosciences.
Geoscience Education; History and Philosophy of Geology
Submit an abstract to this session

Secondly, along with Brett Gilley (University of British Columbia, Canada), Alison Stokes (University of Plymouth, UK), and Dianne Gillespie (National Cave and Karst Research Institute, Carlsbad, NM), I would like to promote acompletely accessible field trip for students with physical disabilities that will be offered following the GSA Annual Meeting on October 13, 2011.  Although it is not open for registration on the GSA website for a few more weeks, the location of this trip will be to Mystery Cave in the Forestville/Mystery Cave State Park.  Participants will not only have access to the cave, but also take part in field observation exercises and data collection in order to construct a cave map of the various passageways, used for interpretation of the cave’s formation.

If you are aware of ANY student with a physical disability who may be interested in taking part in this fully accessible field trip, please pass this message along to them and encourage them to register and join us for this incredible one-day opportunity.

With such a broad research base, it is difficult to include everyone in one email.  Please help us by passing the word to anyone who may be interested in these two great events occurring this fall on promoting accessibility, accommodation and inclusion in the geosciences for students with physical disabilities.  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Finally, help us advance the research community for access and inclusion in geoscience education.  The following organization is young, but is ready to take off!  www.TheIAGD.org  The community page is under construction, but if you are interested in taking part and being listed with your diversity related geoscience education research, please contact me.

Thank you!

Chris Atchison

(soon to be) Assistant Professor of Geoscience Education
Department of Geosciences
Georgia State University
cell: 937-623-3386