This is a note to folks on this listserv that also also members of GSA.

   I am forwarding an email about the June Issue of GSA Today (I'm pretty
sure you have also just received this one).  I wanted to draw your
attention to page 46 of the .pdf, in particular.  I wonder if you wouldn't
mind sharing this more broadly with other GSA members that are involved in
K-12 through undergraduate teacher candidate training.

   Page 46 is the "draft" of a heavily revised GSA position statement
regarding "The Teaching of Earth Science." It is now being released for
general GSA membership comment for the next ~4-6 weeks-online deadline is
15 July (there is a comment link on the Society's website at
www.geosociety.org along the left-ish side of the new format).  I was a GSA
Geology and Public Policy liaison (and thus, panelist) helping facilitate
the Panel (which was productively chaired by Aida Awad).  Several others
worked diligently on crafting this position statement.

   I think that the more education-minded folks that offer endorsement or
constructive criticism during the call for comment (noting that the
requirement being that a person is also GSA members since this is a Society
position statement), the better the statement will be in its final form.

   Thanks, in advance, for considering this request.

   Wendi

   PS Also watch for the July GSA Connection then GSA Today posting for
another education-related position statement (p.s.) concerning Higher
Education. As the calendar year progresses, we will see the call for
comments for additional education p.s.  A third statement is currently in
the works regarding Earth Science Literacy (in addition to the implied
scope in previous p.s.s). And...another current p.s. is presently in
revision by panel concerning the recognition of geoscience education
research as valued professional contributions.  :))   GPPC and Expert
Panels have been busy in terms of improving Society coverage of important
educational domains in position statements!

   Wendi J. W. Williams, Ph.D., Geoscientist
   Pre-College Programs /Science & Research Facilitator
   University of Arkansas - Fayetteville

   Tel:      479.422.3988
              1.866.515.0729 Toll Free
   E-Mail: [log in to unmask]