This is a note to folks on this listserv that also also members of GSA.

I am forwarding an email about the June Issue of GSA Today (I'm pretty sure you have also just received this one).  I wanted to draw your attention to page 46 of the .pdf, in particular.  I wonder if you wouldn't mind sharing this more broadly with other GSA members that are involved in K-12 through undergraduate teacher candidate training.

Page 46 is the "draft" of a heavily revised GSA position statement regarding "The Teaching of Earth Science." It is now being released for general GSA membership comment for the next ~4-6 weeks-online deadline is 15 July (there is a comment link on the Society's website at www.geosociety.org along the left-ish side of the new format).  I was a GSA Geology and Public Policy liaison (and thus, panelist) helping facilitate the Panel (which was productively chaired by Aida Awad).  Several others worked diligently on crafting this position statement.

I think that the more education-minded folks that offer endorsement or constructive criticism during the call for comment (noting that the requirement being that a person is also GSA members since this is a Society position statement), the better the statement will be in its final form.

Thanks, in advance, for considering this request.

Wendi

PS Also watch for the July GSA Connection then GSA Today posting for another education-related position statement (p.s.) concerning Higher Education. As the calendar year progresses, we will see the call for comments for additional education p.s.  A third statement is currently in the works regarding Earth Science Literacy (in addition to the implied scope in previous p.s.s). And...another current p.s. is presently in revision by panel concerning the recognition of geoscience education research as valued professional contributions.  :))   GPPC and Expert Panels have been busy in terms of improving Society coverage of important educational domains in position statements!

Wendi J. W. Williams, Ph.D., Geoscientist
Pre-College Programs /Science & Research Facilitator
University of Arkansas - Fayetteville

Tel:      479.422.3988
           1.866.515.0729 Toll Free
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]