>>> On 4/13/2011 at 4:02 PM, Kim Geiger <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Before I throw in the towel and spend money, I thought I would see if
you all
> had any ideas.
>
> Two firewalls on machines to enter credit numbers in a PCI-compliant
fashion.

> One is a Netgear FVS318 and it works fine, though I'm "wasting" seven
ports
> of it.
>
> The other is a Netgear FVS114.  When we start off at a server on the
same
> subnet as the firewall's WAN port, all is well.  But when it's time
to go to
> Web Credit or CASHNet, there is a appreciable delay.  I know,
slowness is
> relative, but this really is long enough to be annoying and slows
down the
> flow of data entry in a bad way.
>
> The config of these Netgears is not especially complicated and I've
been
> over both with a fine-toothed comb, comparing settings.  The LAN
ports on the
> FVS114 are 10/100 Mbps, while the FVS318 is 100/Full; that's the
biggest
> difference.  I've fiddled with the negotiation rates and even the
slow unit's
> MTU.
>
> Can you think of some obvious principle of networking that I may be
missing?

> Thanks for any thoughts.

I got a lot of good advice offlist * I guess people don't like to
speculate in front of everyone!

In the end, my problem wasn't DNS or the link speed or anything tcp/ip
at all, but the fact that the firewall was too old to adequately handle
a modern-day secure connection * it was dawdling at every security
cert it came across. So even if I could account for every cert authority
that the process might visit, if one of the sites changes, the rules
will stop working.  Etc.

In order to be used for PCI-DSS compliant credit card data entry, each
machine we use for that purpose must be stripped down and have a
hardware firewall.  I just bit the bullet and bought new ones--sometimes
you have to spend money to take/make money, I guess.

--
Kim Geiger
Information Technologist