On 04/21/11 10:45, Aldrich, Dak wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">

Good morning, folks.

I am curious about what some of you think about using RBL’s for assisting in Spam reduction.  I’ve got a Postfix install for my personal mail server and in the last 6 months, 2 of the 3 RBL’s it was configured to use have died.  That reeks ALL KINDS of havoc on incoming mail.

I am currently using SpamAssassin on that machine, as well.  What kinds of experience do people out there have with RBL’s?  Are there any that are extremely reliable that I should maybe add to my list for checking?  Or is it a technology that just causes more trouble than it’s worth, and should I just not use them at all?

Thanks for your input.

-dak

I don't think they're worth it.  There are spammers who get domain names
for an hour, then dump them.  I have seem a spam operation change IP
addresses every few minutes as well.

Then, there is the case of black holing one mail machine among many,
meaning most of the mail at the organization works, but mail coming
from the 'bad' machine gets blocked.  Thats happened here with AOL, I'm
pretty sure.  Ever try to explain that to an exasperated end-user?

Lastly, sites get stuck in the hole that don't deserve it.  I have had some
rather unpleasant phone calls/emails with people about why x.com was
on the list in the first place, and how to get off, how to "prove" you aren't
a problem.

I really think that personal white/gray lists are going to be the only way
to deal with spam, with localized spam assassin type things.  That, or as
I do, deal with 20 - 300 of the things every day by using the delete key.

--STeve Andre'