Dear, Mich-Organic Listserv readers: The information offered in the Michigan Organic Listserv is for your information and not necessarily endorsed by Michigan State University.

Michigan Organic

Listserv

April 21, 2011

Happy Earth Day to All-Friday April 22, 20100

! Help Celebrate Earth Day 2011 by Participating in Events Around Michigan.

Michigan Earth Day Events

In many communities around the state there are special recycle days, accepting those less frequent items such as electronics, foam, and use appliances. For examples at Michigan State University we are in the midst of Community Reuse Days. Please read on…

In celebration of Earth Day the Michigan State University Surplus Store and Recycling Center will be hosting MSU Community Reuse Days for students, faculty, staff and alumni April 18-22.

Materials accepted for free:
•    E-waste and household electronics (see below)
•    Good, usable furniture (no mattresses)
•    Sporting goods including bicycles and exercise equipment
•    Books, magazines, DVDs and CDs
•    Scrap Metal
•    Appliances
•    Holiday decorations
•    Knick knacks and trinkets
•    Kitchen items

Free e-waste recycling:
Personal computers, keyboards and mouses, TVs, monitors, telephones, cell phones, laptops, VCRs, printers, scanners, microwaves, copy machines and small items such as coffee makers, vacuums and toasters.

If the item is not on the list, email [log in to unmask] or call (517)355-0364 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              (517)355-0364      end_of_the_skype_highlighting.

The MSU Surplus Store and Recycling Center will be accepting drop-offs from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. April 18-22. Unloading assistance will be provided.

All material collected will be resold, given away or recycled. Any revenue generated from the sale of collected materials will be used to help support and expand recycling services to the MSU community.

Community Reuse Days are for personal use only. Businesses are encouraged to contact one of the many e-waste recycling providers in the mid-Michigan area.

Lansing Area Events

·         April 23, 2011, from 12:00pm-4:00PM, Party for the Planet @ Potters Park Zoo, Lansing, MI

Learn about conservation with demonstrations throughout the zoo, and recycle your old cell phones and athletic shoes. Visitors must pay parks general admission prices.

Detroit Area Events

·         April 21, 2011, from 8:00am-12:00pm, Detroit Institute of Arts, Detroit, MI

Learn practical ways for your business to reduce reuse and recycle. The event’s featured speaker Andy Acho, is a nationally recognized expert on practical environmental initiatives. Register online, http://www.regonline.com/builder/site/Default.aspx?EventID=939622.

·         April 23-25, 2011, MI Earth Day Fest in Rochester, MI

The MI Earth Day Fest will welcome to downtown Rochester an anticipated audience of 100,000 people from around Michigan, eager to learn about green and healthy living, and seeking earth-friendly alternatives in food, energy, transportation, clothing, wellness, career, home, garden, finances and more. Admission is FREE. To learn more, http://www.miearthday.com/.

Flint/Saginaw Area Events

·         April 30, 2011, from 10:00am-2:00pm, Go Wild Celebrate Earth Day @ The Saginaw Children’s Zoo

Join us at the Children’s Zoo and learn from exhibits and activities, explore the zoo and have a blast. Admission is FREE. To learn more, http://www.saginawzoo.com/.

Traverse City Area Events

·         April 30, 2011 @ 1:00pm, Earth Day Parade, Traverse City, MI

Watch the parade downtown on Union, Park, Front and State Streets. After the parade, (around 2 pm) come to Hannah Park for Decomposers. A Storytelling and Sing along with Little Artshram, the Human Nature School, and Hythmic Adventures. To learn more, http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150091884662741.

Grand Rapids Area Events

·         April 22, 201, Earth Day Concert, 6:00pm @ Fountain Street Church

The 2011 Earth Day Celebration is a joint fundraiser for the West Michigan Environmental Action Council's water quality programs, and the Grand River Water Festival.  This year's celebration features environmental exhibits, a cash bar, and special performances by Earthwork Music's Mary Erlewine & Seth Bernard, Rachel Davis and Dominic, of "Starlight Six" fame, plus the opening act, Hawks & Owls. Cost: $15 @ http://liveatthefountain.org/.

IMPORTANT NEWS!  ATTRA is scheduled to be cut from the US budget

Upcoming Events of Interest

The How To of Grass-Finishing

When: April 27, 2011, from 9:00am‐4:00pm

Where: Smith Hall/ Clinton County Fairgrounds (800 Sickles St., St. Johns, Michigan 48879)

Why: Come hear guest speaker Dr. Jim Gerrish, American Grazing Lands Services, LLC. Dr. Gerrish is an independent grazing lands consultant who’s worked with farms and ranchers across North America.

Topics cover at this workshop:

·         Why pasture based products?

·          Making a profit with pasture‐finished meats

·          Birthing, Grazing Management for healthy pastures and productive livestock

How: Cost: $30.00 (Lunch included) if registration is postmarked before 4‐22‐11. No refunds after registration date. Late registration $40.00 w/limited seating. No group discounts. Find registration form on-line at www.michiganorganic.msu.edu, under the Events tab.

Weekend Permaculture Design Course, sponsored by OEFFA

When:  July 16-17, August 13-14, August 27-28, September 10-11, October 8-9, and October 22-23.

Where:  Columbus, Ohio at the Olentangy River Wetland Research Park

Why:  Come explore the power of ecological design to create resilience and beauty in your communities. Over six weekends, Saturday morning through Sunday afternoon, you will learn internationally recognized curriculum in permaculture design. Participants will gain experience with permaculture by developing designs for emerging urban garden projects, installing a demonstration garden and visiting established systems. This course will also include a weekend at a well developed permaculture homestead located on a long term community land trust in Athens County, Ohio.

How: To register contact Josh Beniston, 740-818-8422, [log in to unmask]. Cost:  $875, includes weekend lunches and educational materials.  There will also be some work trade and scholarship options.  Students completing the course will receive professional certification in permaculture design.

Website:  columbuspdc.wordpress.com

Free On Demand Webinars Presented by the Vegetable Growers News

Enjoy these free webinars on a variety of farming topics including:

·         Financing Your Farm Purchases

·         Effective Potato Irrigation Practices

·         Traceability on the Farm

·         Optimizing Potato Storage

·         Improving Irrigation  Application

·         Maximizing High and Low Tunnel Crop Protection

·         Get Late Blight Under Control Before it Takes Control

All free on demand webinars can be found at: http://greatamericanpublishing.na5.acrobat.com/p46772157/?launcher=false&fcsContent=true&pbMode=normal.

2011 MSU Student Organic Farm Workshops and Tour Topics and Dates

All workshops run from 1-5pm at the MSU Horticulture Teaching and Research Center (3291 College Rd
Holt, MI 48824)

Workshop Dates:

·         May 16: Hoophouse Structures and Warm Season Crops

·         June 27: Drip Irrigation for Hoophouse and Field Production

·         Aug 15:  Marketing Options for Year-round Vegetables

·         Sept 12: Hoophouse Cropping Options for Winter Harvests

How: Register at www.hoophouse.msu.edu under the Workshop tab or email [log in to unmask].  Cost $40/workshop or $125 for the series of 4 and is payable at the workshop.

Tours

Tours are at the MSU Horticulture Teaching and Research Center (3291 College Rd
Holt, MI 48824)

Tour Dates:

·         May 10, from 3:30-5pm

·         June 22, from 10:30am-12 (noon)

·         July 12, from 6-8pm

·         August 23, from 6-8pm

·         September 30, 12:30-2:30pm

·         December 5, from 10-11am

·         February 7 (2012), from 2:30-3:30pm

How: Register at www.hoophouse.msu.edu under the <Workshop> then Tours tab or email [log in to unmask]. Tours are $3/adult, payable at the start of the tours.  Kids are free.

MDA Food Safety Regulation Discussion 3/25 in Big Rapids; Marquette Forum Added

Small food processors, producers and food entrepreneurs are invited to participate in a series of forum discussions on Michigan food safety regulations. As the Michigan Food Law is improved and revised, these forums provide an opportunity for small and medium size farm operators and food entrepreneurs to provide input on food safety and how regulations affect them.

The forums are hosted by Michigan Food & Farming Systems (MIFFS) with funding from the Michigan Department of Agriculture in order to learn more about perceptions and experiences of food safety regulations and discover if and how regulations have constrained the viability of small food businesses. Pre-registration is requested.

Locations:

For further details, contact Jenifer Buckley, Project Manager, at [log in to unmask] or (517) 355-5962.

Source: http://miffs.org/foodsafetyforums.asp

Heart of Michigan Farmers Market Vendors Wanted

When: Saturday, May 14, 2011, from 8:00am-12:00pm, RAIN OR SHINE.

Where: East side of the Capitol, along Capitol Avenue and Allegan Street, Lansing, MI.

Why: This is a great opportunity to market your local products. The Heart of Michigan Farmers Market will be held in conjunction with the Heart of Michigan Run/Walk. Both events finish at the Capitol with a Heart of Michigan Farmers Market. This market is coordinated by the Michigan Farmers Market Association (MIFMA) in partnership with the Champions for Charity.

How: The vendor application is now available online at our website
http://www.mifma.org/heart-of-michigan-farmers-market-application/ for the May 14th Heart of Michigan Farmers Market.   Please read the vendor application form and the event details and information policy before submitting your application. The deadline for accepting applications is Friday, April 29th. Be sure to send in all materials before that date. We will have room for roughly 50 farmers and vendors from across the state selling their Michigan-grown and processed goods.

This market is coordinated by the Michigan Farmers Market Association and the Champions for Charity. There will be a vendor fee for those wishing to sell their goods at the market. MIFFS and MIFMA members receive a $20 discount on those vendor fees, making the entry fee $40 and $60 for non-members. Vendors requiring electricity will be responsible for an additional $15 fee.

For more information, contact Maggie Smith, market coordinator, at
517-432-3381 or [log in to unmask] or visit www.mifma.org.

New CSA and Farmers Market Opportunities

Are you interested in being a member of a CSA this summer? Here is your first chance to apply for a spot at Thornapple CSA in Charlotte, Michigan. To see the full agreement visit: http://thornapplecsa.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Thornapple-CSA-2011-membership-agreement.pdf.

To become a shareholder in the Thornapple CSA for the 2011 season, please fill out and return this agreement (http://thornapplecsa.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Thornapple-CSA-2011-membership-agreement.pdf), with your first payment. Make checks payable to Thornapple CSA. Membership is on a first come basis, and submission of this application does not guarantee membership.

As a member

        I commit to supporting the farm through my share payment and 4 hours of work each month from May 18 through October 26.

        I understand that it is my responsibility to pick up my share each Wednesday at the Allen St. market between 3:00 pm and 6:30 pm or make arrangements to pick up the share at the farm. I understand that my share will not be available to me beyond the arranged pick up time. I do not expect to have my share held for me.

        As a member of Thornapple CSA, I will receive a weekly share for 24 weeks.

        The target weekly share should be about enough produce for a family of four or two adults who usually cook at home and eat a lot of vegetables. I understand shares will vary in size and will contain the vegetables currently being harvested. I also understand that I am sharing the risks as well as the benefits of the farm and that the harvest is subject to growing conditions and other environmental variables and that there is a risk of crop failure. I understand that I am making a financial commitment, that there is no guarantee of the amount of produce that I will receive, and that there will be no refunds.

* Members may elect to begin helping out at the farm before the harvest begins. In this case, volunteer hours may be spread over the additional months. The basic share price for the 2011 growing season is $650, with a time commitment of 4 hours per share each month (24H total).

The planning, preparation, and expenses of the CSA begin long before the harvest begins. Therefore, we encourage members to support the farm by including full payment for their share with the Shareholder Commitment Agreement if they are in a position to do so. At the request of several members, we are offering additional options (http://thornapplecsa.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Thornapple-CSA-2011-membership-agreement.pdf).

Questions? Email: [log in to unmask].

Stay tuned for addition CSA opportunities.

Source: http://thornapplecsa.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Thornapple-CSA-2011-membership-agreement.pdf

Soil Building

Building Soil Boosts Profits, by Rosemary Gordon, Senior Managing Editor, American Vegetable Grower

Cover crops play a critical role in maintaining healthy soil and sustaining high yields.

The sandy soil in Southwestern Michigan is constantly being moved by the wind. That was a problem for L.H. Piggott & Girls Farm, a wholesale and retail vegetable operation that was trying to prevent erosion and keep its soil healthy. At the same time, the farm had to contend with the challenges of growing on hilly terrain.

George McManus III, who runs the 700-acre farm located near Lake Michigan, turned to contour farming and the use of cover crops to not only prevent soil erosion and runoff on hills, but to help him achieve maximum yields using a minimum of inputs. These production practices not only contribute to the bottom line, they enforce the operation’s commitment to sustainability.

In fact, that is one of the reasons L.H. Piggott & Girls was a 2010 finalist for American Vegetable Grower’s annual Grower Achievement Award. According to Michigan State University’s Mathieu Ngouajio, who nominated the farm for the award, McManus is on the cutting edge of sustainable agriculture.

Ngouajio cites McManus’ approach to fumigation as an example. “While most specialty crop growers are currently struggling with the phase-out of methyl bromide, George has adopted a long-term crop rotation system that has allowed him to maintain high yields without methyl bromide application.”

McManus says he opted to never use methyl bromide because he knew it would eventually be phased out. “So, right off the bat I made a plan to operate my farm without it,” he says. “I don’t use any fumigants at all.” Instead, he spent years building up his soil the old-fashioned way, which included long-term crop rotation plans.

Contour Farming Benefits

Before building up the soil, McManus had to deal with soil loss issues from erosion. He determined that contour farming was the way to go and, in essence, had to change the layout of his fields.

“Instead of making rows straight from one side of the field to the other, we break up fields into smaller pieces,” he explains. “In some places, different sections of the field have the rows go around a hill and not up and down the hill.”

As a result, his raised beds for vegetable production are formed following the contour of the landscape. “This allows trapping rainfall water between beds, limiting runoff and soil erosion,” he adds.

The Roles of Cover Crops

Cover crops have several roles on the farm. They are used to keep the soil in place as a wind break, provide nutritional inputs, and reduce pest problems.

In the fall, McManus plants a rye cover crop, and the following spring, the fields are tilled in strips of 12 beds and separated by untilled rye strips. The untilled rye strips serve as wind breaks.

Serving as a source of nutrition to his crops, McManus plants cover crops such as sweet clover, which allows him to get by with fewer fertilizer applications. “If you can work cover crops into the rotation you can recapture some of the potash that is in the subsurface layers of the soil. Cover crops also will manufacture nitrogen. As a result, you can cut the amount of nitrogen and potash used.”

In addition, McManus applies turkey litter to some of his fields as a soil amendment. He can’t use turkey litter on all fields, however, as there is a limit on the amount of phosphorus that can be applied through animal waste, he says. So on fields that have phosphorus levels that are too high, a cover crop is planted

to add some organic matter to the soil.

Rotate Away From Pests

Cover crops are not only used to provide additional inputs, they play a role in controlling insects and disease. By rotating cover crops and vegetable crops with fallow fields, McManus is able to reduce the incidence of both insect and disease pressure, and in turn, has to spray less frequently. By reducing the number of sprays he has to make, McManus also reduces the odds of having resistance issues. All of these components tie back to sustainable farming practices.

“Disease pressures will climb if you stay in the same field with the same crop year after year,” he says. “So if you rotate a crop out of one field and into a field that has not had the same vegetable crop growing in it, disease pressure is less and you will use fewer fungicides.”

In fact, McManus was able to increase yields and decrease disease pressure by staking his tomato crop. “By staking tomatoes, they are off the ground and less susceptible to ground rot and other diseases,” he adds.

It is a similar situation with insects. Rotating different crops in and out of fields reduces insect pressure. “I like to go from a cucurbit, like a cucumber, to a tomato,” he says. “The insects that feed on cucurbits emerge in the tomato field — such as a cucumber beetle — but it isn’t a problem because the cucumber beetle doesn’t affect the tomato.”

Always Sustainable

Going back to the work he has done to build the soil, which takes years, McManus says his production practices are aimed at long-term farming. In the end, he says, you always want to be building soil and not depleting it. Depleting the soil leads to low yields, which of course is not sustainable.

“Everyone has his own definition of sustainability,” he concludes. “My definition is being able to farm in such a way that I can continue to operate my farm for as long as I want to, and whoever comes after me can pick up and continue to do the same thing.”

Source: http://www.growingproduce.com/americanvegetablegrower/?storyid=5276.

Manure Testing Shows True Value, by Roberta Osborne, Michigan State University Extension

Five Steps to a Better Backyard - Organic Gardening

If you haven't already traded in your lawn for a permaculture wonderland, then you may be wondering how to keep the back yard green all summer without wasting water or resorting to nasty chemicals. Here is the simple answer: clover. Find out how and why you should bring this once-banished "weed" back into the fold.

The secret to having a great lawn without chemicals is Dutch clover. For the past 50 years, clover has been considered a noxious lawn weed, but before that it was an important component in fine lawns—and for good reason. Clover is drought-tolerant, virtually immune to diseases, and distasteful to common turf insects. And it generates its own food by fixing nitrogen in the soil.

So how did this lawn superstar get such a bad rap? Blame the broadleaf herbicides introduced after World War II. Used to kill weeds such as dandelions and plantains, the chemicals also destroyed the clover that was used in many lawn mixes of the time (leaving ugly bare patches in their wake). Today, virtually all seed companies omit clover from their mixes.

But that doesn't mean that you can't enjoy the advantages of this great green. Eliminating herbicides from your lawn regime is incredibly easy. And once you do it, most clover you introduce into your backyard will thrive. Here's where to start?

Step 1: Kick the fertilizer habit

If your lawn is already in decent shape—no big bare patches, less than 20 percent weeds—you can make it organic without adding any new clover or grasses. Conversion is not so much what you do as what you stop doing. In other words, throw out your fertilizer. Most commercial synthetic versions are loaded with nitrogen (represented by the first of three numbers in the analysis on the package).

But turf needs a lot less nitrogen than people think. Though you'll see figures as high as 30 percent, it's better to use a less concentrated nitrogen source that lasts longer. So try an organic lawn-food blend such as Concern or Espoma, cottonseed meal, or dried poultry waste. Most of the nitrogen in these is water-insoluble; it stays put and is released over a month or more, providing nutrition to the plant in small doses. Apply it at a rate of one pound actual nitrogen per 1,000 square feet in midspring and again in autumn. (The percentage of nitrogen lawn food varies, so you'll have to do some calculations to figure out how much to apply.)

Granted, your lawn might not turn emerald-green overnight, but you'll find it retains a uniform color through the season. Best of all, it will grow slowly and steadily, loosening those chains that bind you to the mower.

Step 2: Add clover and other grasses.

If you're lucky, you already have some clover in your lawn. If not, it's easy to add it by over seeding, or planting on top of what's already there. In spring or autumn, rough up the surface of the lawn with a metal garden rake. Mix the clover seed with sand or finely screened compost to ensure even distribution. Sow two ounces of clover seed per 1,000 square feet for a moderate clover cover, or up to eight ounces if you want the clover to dominate the turf. After sowing, water your lawn deeply and keep the soil surface moist until the clover germinates. The result will be a soft, cushy, deep-green lawn that stays lush through spring, summer, and fall.

If you can't give up the idea of an all-grass lawn, you can still go organic without clover. Use the same over seeding technique to introduce a low-maintenance turfgrass, such as hard fescue or sheep fescue, to your Northern lawn. In the South, try buffalograss or blue gramagrass. If you're starting over, consider an ecology-lawn mix that incorporates turf-type fescue with flowering plants, such as English daisy and yarrow. More than a lawn but less than a meadow, an ecology-lawn mixture can be mowed and used like turf.

Source: http://www.organicgardening.com/learn-and-grow/5-steps-better-backyard?cm_mmc=OGNews-_-04202011-_-learnandgrow-_-5_steps_to_a_better_backyard

Vegetable Production News

Growing Sweet Onions in Michigan

The Michigan onion industry is built primarily on a long-storing, pungent cooking onion with levels of pyruvic acid above 10 mg. However, the current growth area in United States onion consumption is in sweet onions (those having less than 10 mg). Due to lower pyruvic acid levels sweet onions do not store well and must be sourced from several locations during the growing season.

Sweet onions can be grown in Michigan if correct cultivars are chosen and seed started at the right time. Seed must be started in the greenhouse late February or early March for field transplanting in late April or early May. To get suitable transplant size and quality, now is the time to start.

Onions are day-length sensitive so it is critical that proper cultivars are selected. Cultivars grown in Michigan must be long-day types. These will bulb as a result of days getting longer in May and June. Since final bulb size is directly related to plant size prior to bulbing, it is important to treat plants well with proper fertilizer and irrigation prior to them receiving the bulbing signal. Some intermediate-day types will do well in Michigan, but short-day responsive types should not be grown.

Research on sweet onions is ongoing at the Southwest Michigan Research and Extension Center in Benton Harbor. Past efforts have been at identifying cultivars adaptable to Michigan conditions. Current efforts are aimed at developing a means of getting suitable size from direct seeded plantings.

To see Michigan State University Extension Senior Vegetable Crops Educator Ron Goldy’s full report on this topic, along with a table featuring a number of cultivars that have done well under Michigan conditions, http://ipmnews.msu.edu/vegetable/vegetable/tabid/151/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/3257/Its-time-to-start-sweet-onion-transplants.aspx

Source: Ron Goldy, Michigan State University Extension Senior Vegetable Crops Educator/Michigan State University Vegetable Crop Advisory Team Alert

Corrected Link: USDA Farmers Market Directory Update

Here is the corrected link for the 2011 USDA National Farmers Market Directory, http://www.usdadirectoryupdate.com/.

Video on Eastern Market in Detroit

Have you ever wondered what the Eastern Market has to offer? Check out this short video about a trip around the Eastern Market in Ferndale, MI., http://www.westernmarket.net/component/lyftenbloggie/?view=entry&id=35.

In The Greenhouse: Grower Lessons Learned @ The Greenhouse Short Course, by Rick Snyder, American Vegetable Grower

Rick Snyder presents just a few of the lessons learned by the growers in attendance at this year's Mississippi Greenhouse Tomato Short Course.

The 21st annual Greenhouse Tomato Short Course was held last month at Eagle Ridge Conference Center in Raymond, MS. This short course, the longest running training for greenhouse tomato growers in the U.S., brought growers from 25 states and Trinidad to Mississippi to listen to some of the best speakers deliver excellent seminars on a variety of topics.

In addition to the speakers, we had about 20 of the best greenhouse supply vendors in the U.S. Some vendors have returned nearly every year since the short course began.

In this column, I’d like to present a few of the lessons learned by the growers in attendance. Only a small fraction of the information can be presented in this column. What follows are a list of six takeaway points.

1) First of all, the design of your greenhouse has to be appropriate for the area in which you live. Beware of turnkey packages that may not be designed for your area, but which are the same for all buyers. Each one should be specifically designed for your geographical region.

Also, the greenhouse needs to be designed for the crop(s) that you want to grow. A design for tomatoes would not be the same as one for lettuce,
for example.

2) Ventilation should be sized correctly so that it is one air exchange per minute. The only way to do this is to measure your greenhouse and use these measurements along with the number of bays in simple calculations that you will find in Extension publications. Your greenhouse supplier can help you choose the right fans and vents.

In addition to choosing the correct flow rate or CFM (cubic feet per minute) for your fan size, it is also important that one-eighth static pressure is maintained. Talk to your fan manufacturer or greenhouse supplier to confirm this.

3) Be sure your cool pads are kept clean. If they are covered with dust, dirt, grass clippings, tree seeds, etc., the air flow can be greatly diminished and the greenhouse will not cool properly.

The cool pad length should be extended to the full width of the end wall. Using a shorter cool pad will create dead air spaces and subsequent hot spots in the corners that are not cooled very well. Height of cool pads is available in 2-inch increments. After calculating the square footage needed and dividing by the length, round up to the next even numbered size for the height.

4) Stepped cooling is preferable to one-stage cooling. This is even more important in warmer climates. With two fans per bay, the stages of cooling can be increased from two to four by using two-step motors in these fans. This allows you to have four settings for your cooling systems rather than having it turn on full blast when you don’t need that much cooling.

In southern climates, the air flow path (from air intake to exhaust fan) should not be more than 100 feet long so that the air does not warm up too much during the trip through the greenhouse length. Since plastic comes in 100-foot rolls, most greenhouses in the south are actually 96 feet long so that there is enough plastic to seal along the end walls. In northern climates, the air flow path can be as much as 150 feet long.

Intake vents should be automated to come on when the fans are on. However, be sure that they open at a couple of degrees lower than the fans so that the intake pressure from the fans will not hold them shut. The velocity of air coming in should be 700 feet per second. This speed of air is important for efficient cooling.

5) Take a close look at the entire perimeter of the base of your greenhouse. It should be very well sealed. In many greenhouses, the opening along the base is large enough for small animals to crawl in. This gap is also very wasteful for your heating system. Use concrete or polyurethane foam to make a tight seal. This will also help keep insects out of the greenhouse.

6) Watch out for snow on rooftops. Are you in the snow zone? This past winter was the worst in 50 or even 100 years in much of the U.S. If too much snow accumulates on the roof, the weight of the snow can push the plastic into the greenhouse or even bend the frame. Run hot water pipes down the gutters to warm them up so that the melting snow can escape rather than be trapped by ice dams. Snow on the roof can be pushed off with a broom from inside the greenhouse. Finally, turn up the heat to facilitate melting.

Source: http://www.growingproduce.com/americanvegetablegrower/?storyid=5289

Marketing News

Marketing Matters: Positioning Your Produce, by Rick VanVranken, American Vegetable Grower

Rick VanVranken says that when it comes to positioning your produce, your best bet is to keep your message simple but descriptive.

Since my last column, have you been “determining exactly what niche your offering is intended to fill,” as Jay Conrad Levinson defined “positioning” in Guerilla Marketing (1984 Houghton Mifflin)?

Whether you are a small organic grower, a thousand-acre grower-shipper, or somewhere in between, your positioning statement lays the foundation to build your business. In it, you identify your target consumer, the products you can grow for them, and how to capture their attention and purchases through your advertising. As a matter of fact, you may find growers at those opposite ends of the spectrum that can grow the same items, but positioning helps them target the appropriate customers.

There was an article titled “Artisanal Awakening” in the 2010-2011 winter issue of Edible Jersey magazine that caught my eye. Working with Garden State farmers on marketing issues, I’ve always loved how certain words can make or break a product. It reminded me when about 20 years ago, I presented a talk titled “Designer Veggies — New Crops for New Jersey” at the New Jersey Vegetable Growers Conference.

I thought it was just a catchy title to introduce the concept of marketing new colors, shapes, sizes, flavors, and varieties of produce, but people still mention how much press coverage “Designer Veggies” brought to the conference that year. Similarly, “artisan” encompasses that concept of designer produce.

Designer Produce

The first time I heard the word artisan used in the produce industry was at a Philadelphia Farm and Food Conference in the late ‘90s where participants had been asked how local farmers could supply more products to regional food pantries. One frustrated gentleman stood up and responded emphatically that he was an artisan farmer growing vegetables organically on a couple of acres. In order to remain economically viable, every square inch of his farm had to be productive and he needed to sell his high-quality artisanal produce to affluent people able and willing to pay top dollar. He used a simple, descriptive positioning statement to illustrate very effectively for the attendees why he wasn’t in a position to do much to address the needs of the poor.

Fast forward to 2010. On the other end of the scale and the other side of the country, one of the largest
U.S. lettuce growers, Tanimura and Antle (T&A) of Salinas, CA, has been advertising heavily and reporting that sales of their new Artisan Lettuce line have soared since it was introduced. A clear-cut positioning statement found on their website,
www.ArtisanLettuce.com, describes their attractively packaged produce for their target consumers and chefs.

Not only is this promoted as a gourmet and artistic line of products, but they also refine their niche market as those who may have concerns about pre-packaged, fresh processed lettuce mixes, as well.

Competing Salads

Unhampered by that jab, Chiquita’s Fresh Express fresh processing division has introduced ready-to-eat “Artisanal Salads” with mouth watering names like Sierra Crisp Herb and Wild Rocket Zest for those consumers who do appreciate the convenience of pre-packaged salad mixes. Actually, “artisan” is getting a lot of use in the produce industry now. Stemilt Growers of Washington is providing stores with pop-up displays to promote its Stemilt Artisan Organics line of apple and pear crops.

While the “artisanal” produce market may be getting crowded, there are plenty of other niches to fill — food safety, product quality and reliability, customer service, convenience, assortment — the list is limited only by your imagination. The key is to create an uncomplicated statement that identifies first and foremost what consumer you will target. Identifying the right customers will fill in the rest of the positioning statement with the best mix of products and services, as well as suggesting effective advertising strategies to communicate with them. Although there might not be many individual words as descriptive as artisan, keep your positioning statement as concise as possible.

It’s too bad there aren’t more words like artisan. As much as I like it to describe produce, I don’t think that “artisan” made the Oxford Dictionary’s short list for the 2010 Word of the Year as “locavore” did in 2007.

Then again, it’s fun to muse that someone at T&A said they had once heard or read about “designer veggies” and a light went on.

Source: http://www.growingproduce.com/americanvegetablegrower/?storyid=5294

Calling All Markets Now Accepting Bridge Cards

If your farmers’ market will BEGIN accepting Bridge Cards during the 2011 farmers market season, this message is for you!

The Michigan Farmers Markets Food Assistance Partnership is in the process of preparing our 2011 consumer outreach materials that will advertise all of the farmers markets in Michigan that accept SNAP benefits via the Michigan Bridge Card. If your market will begin accepting Bridge Cards this season, we want to collect information from you to include in these materials as a way to help increase consumer awareness of your market and the fact that it accepts SNAP benefits!

If your farmers market will begin accepting Bridge Cards this season, please follow this link to submit information for our 2011 Outreach Materials:
http://msucarrs.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_7QfybaLOm5BEK0I

Our outreach materials are designed for farmers markets where one point of sale device and an alternative redemption system (tokens or paper scrip) will be used to benefit all vendors in the market, OR where at least 60% of eligible vendors in the market are authorized to accept Bridge Cards via their own point of sale device. Markets where less than 60% of individual vendors are authorized will not be included.

Farmers markets accepting Bridge Cards in 2010 should have received a personalized email asking them to update their information. If you have not received that email, please contact me at

All information should be submitted by Friday, April 22 in order to be included in this year?s outreach materials.

If want more information about accepting Bridge Cards in the future or to see outreach materials from 2010, please visit
http://www.mifma.org/food-assistance-partnership/farmers-market-managers/. If you have questions about the 2011 outreach materials, please contact Amanda Segar at [log in to unmask] or at 517-432-3381.

Source:  Amanda Segar, Michigan Farmers Markets Food Assistance Partnership.

Crop Disease News

OTFAs response to the NOSB Recommendation for sunset of Streptomycin for Fire blight control

Jim Koan, owner of Almar Orchard in Flushing MI, is going to DC to present at the USDA public input session for the NOSB (National Organic Standards Board). The NOSB wants to do away with using antibiotics such as Streptomycin to control Fire Blight, a horrible disease on fruit trees, this is especially a problem in the North Central region. Please note that while public comment time has past, you can send your info to Jim Koan ([log in to unmask]) by Tuesday, April , 26, 2011, so he may use it while discussing with NOSB in DC.

Urgent Potato Late Blight Information Update, by Willie Kirk, Michigan State University Extension, Department of Plant Pathology

Current status of late blight in Michigan and how to be prepared to respond.

Potato late blight in potato tubers is of significant importance in commercial production and in seed production because these tubers may (i) initiate epidemics by transmission from infected tubers to sprouts, stems and foliage, and ii) may also directly reduce plant stand and delay plant emergence resulting in further problems that affect yield and tuber size distribution.

In addition, late blight management incurs significant management costs to growers in terms of IPM (integrated pest management) scouting and control with fungicides. Over the past two years, the aggressive US-8 genotype of Phytophthora infestans has been largely displaced in potatoes by a slightly less aggressive strain, known as US-22 that is thought to have originated from tomatoes. This strain was found widely in Michigan in 2009 and again in 2010, at least as far north as Rogers City. There was, therefore, a high risk that potato seed crops could have been exposed to potato late blight. The late appearance of late blight in some crops may have caught some growers off guard and even in blight-free crops, spore showers from external sources could potentially affect tubers even after desiccation of vines.

At MSU, samples are regularly sent to our lab for testing and we run a general test called mutiliplex PCR to determine the presence of four pathogens. These are Phytophthora infestans (late blight), Phytophthora erythroseptica (pink rot), Pythium ultimum (leak) and Pectobacterium carotovorum (soft rot). These tests are very sensitive and are often run to determine what risk a crop might be under and what management steps are needed to maximize healthy stands.

Earlier this month seed samples were brought to the lab that showed PCR reactions that were weakly positive for late blight. I emphasize that these tests are extremely sensitive and the implications in terms of what this means in terms of the risk of late blight developing from tubers from these seed lots are not known. From my own experience in research in this area of latent infections of potato seed my opinion is that the likelihood is very low but not impossible.

Since this seed was sampled, we have taken further samples and found these weak PCR positive reactions again, but as yet have not been able to grow pure cultures from the seed. Visually the darkened seed tissue has the appearance of late blight but has also been impacted by other pathogens. The reason then for this urgent notice is to alert growers that there is a potential risk that seed may be affected by late blight in 2011 but that we are not in a position to determine that this will result in seed-borne late blight developing. The following are the steps that have been taken so far in conjunction with the Michigan Seed Potato Association (MSPA) and its members, MSU, MPIC and MDA seed inspectors.

MSPA are being proactive by stepping up early and have visited commercial sites where seed lots are being cut and treated and they are working closely with MSU and MPIC on a short and long term management plan. MSPA are testing suspect tubers in seed lots at shipping point inspections with late blight immunodiagnostic test strips from AGDIA; so far no tubers have tested positive using these tests. We have tested these kits in the lab on tubers inoculated with the pathogen and they are reliable.

What do we know so far?

Issues

Current management strategies

Early season post-emergence recommendations

Source: http://news.msue.msu.edu/news/article/urgent_potato_late_blight_information_update

Fruit Pest Management News

*Note that calciums can be used in organic systems that are mined. Always check with your certifier before using a product new to your farm.

Bitterpit Control in Apples, by Philip Schwallier and Amy Irish-Brown, Michigan State University Extension

Low calcium levels are the source of bitterpit in apples.

Bitterpit is serious physiological disorder related to low calcium levels in the fruit (especially just under the peel). The major calcium effect in apple is the maintenance of membranes and cell wall structures, which, in turn, slows breakdown and maintains firmness of fruits. Bitterpit is the breakdown of the cells just under the peel where calcium levels are too low. Therefore, the focus for controlling bitterpit is on soil, leaf and ultimately fruit calcium. Some varieties (such as Cortland, Honeycrisp, Northern Spy, etc.) have a genetic susceptibility to Bitterpit. Bitterpit in other apple varieties is influenced by other factors, such as climate, orchard block characteristics and especially crop load/tree vigor. Soil calcium levels, soil pH, other nutrient levels, crop load balance, calcium sprays and postharvest calcium treatments all affect calcium levels in fruit. Increasing calcium levels in the fruit will reduce this disorder.

Fruitlets have high calcium levels in the spring (Figure 1, http://news.msue.msu.edu/news/article/bitterpit_control_in_apples) but as the fruit grow in size, fruit calcium concentration decreases. Fruit will accumulate calcium over the entire season (Figure 2, http://news.msue.msu.edu/news/article/bitterpit_control_in_apples), but environmental conditions can still cause bitterpit problems. Soil applied lime and gypsum will increase fruit calcium, but need to be applied annually and results will be slow to detect (2 to 3 years). Generally, spray applications of foliar calcium periodically improves control but might not cure the disorder. It is important to start foliar calcium sprays right after petal fall and continue applications until harvest. Frequent calcium applications are better than less frequent, high-rate applications. Some years on some varieties, weather can overwhelm even the best calcium program. Postharvest drenches are important to help stop this disorder from developing further in storage.

Methods to increase calcium

Source: http://news.msue.msu.edu/news/article/bitterpit_control_in_apples

Monitor Grape Buds for Climbing Cutworm and Flea Beetles, by Rufus Isaacs,

Michigan State University Extension, Department of Entomology

The cool spring may cause buds to swell for an extended period placing buds at increased feeding risk from cutworms.

Two important insect pests of grapevines become active around the time of bud swell, and both have the potential to cause damage to early growth if populations are high. The cool weather this spring may result in buds swelling over an extended period, and this can place buds at risk of feeding by climbing cutworm for a longer period than normal. Cool nights are ideal for activity of cutworms, with warm sunny days being more suited for activity of flea beetles. The coming weeks will be good times to scout vineyards for these two pests, to determine whether management is needed.

Cutworms

The term cutworm covers many species in the moth family Noctuidae, and as their name suggests, these insects are nocturnal. Vineyards on light-textured soils are often the most heavily infested. Both the adults and the larvae are only active at night, and the larvae can climb up onto vines during very cool night-time conditions. During the day, cutworms hide in the soil or leaf litter, and can be found in the top layer of soil. Many of these insects feed on weeds, but some climb the stems of plants to feed on buds and other young foliage. These climbing cutworms are the ones causing damage to grapevines.

Direct observation of feeding by the larvae requires a late-night trip to the vineyard, but their damage is quite easy to see. In Michigan vineyards, the spotted cutworm, Amathes c-nigrum, is our main pest species, and the larvae feed on buds and may also feed on leaves until the shoots are 10 to 15 cm long. However, it is the feeding on small buds that has the greatest potential for economic damage.

Cutworm feeding on a bud can reduce the crop by one to two clusters so the high potential for rapid damage by cutworms requires that growers make good management decisions. Even 2 percent bud injury is an economic threshold for an insecticide treatment to prevent further damage, so vineyards should be scouted during the period of bud swell to identify regions with cutworm pressure (see below).

Flea beetles (Steely beetles)

This insect attacks buds of both wild and cultivated grape, and is another early season grape pest. The adult insects move to the vines at bud swell, and usually are localized within the vineyard. Sites near overwintering habitats such as woods or abandoned vineyards are especially at risk. Beetles are most easily seen during warm sunny weather when they tend to be on the top of vines, usually mating or feeding on canes and buds.

Adults are shiny blue, about 4-5 mm long, and have strong hind legs that enable them to jump if disturbed (hence the name). The overwintering adults cause the greatest damage by boring into the developing bud and hollowing out the inside, while the larvae and summer adults feed on leaf tissues. Bud feeding is similar to that caused by cutworms, with similar effects to the vine (see above cutworm description).

Wherever possible, cleaning up overwintering sites (wasteland and woodland) near to vineyards can help combat grape flea beetle.

Scouting for bud damage

Growers should watch for damage by cutworms and flea beetle, especially if the vines remain in the susceptible bud swell stage for a while with cooler weather. Cutworms tend to be more of a problem in sandy sites, so these should be prioritized for scouting. Both cutworms and steely beetles can cause damage quickly if the temperatures warm up, and since they are difficult to catch “in the act,” regular scouting for the first signs of damage is essential to prevent significant bud loss.

An action threshold of 2 percent damaged buds is recommended in juice grapes, and this can be determined by sampling 10 buds on each of 10 vines spread through the vineyard. Thresholds in wine grapes may be lower due to the higher value of the crop, but there has been little formal research on this topic. Still, it is clear that the potential damage justifies scouting and management if cutworm damage is detected.

Once the shoots get past bud burst and into the 1-3 inch range, the danger from flea beetles and cutworms is diminished significantly.

Cultural control

Vineyards that are weedy tend to have more cutworm problems, presumably because the larvae have more places to hide and conditions are better for them. Weedy vineyards also provide more places for the cutworms to hide from sprays applied for their control, so improving weed control is one component of an IPM program to reduce cutworm damage.

Although it may be too late for this year if you have finished pruning, leaving some extra buds is a potential strategy for hedging your risk against cutworm (and frost) injury. Scouting is still required though, to make sure the damage doesn’t exceed the number of extra buds left behind.

Chemical control

An appropriate insecticide application should be considered if scouting shows significant damage is occurring, and assessments of damage should include wooded borders where flea beetle pressure may be higher, and areas where cutworms have been a recurring problem.

Lorsban Advanced is labeled for cutworm at 1 quart per acre, in at least 50 gallons of water per acre. There are also a number of pyrethroid insecticides registered for use against cutworms including Mustang Max (2-4oz/acre), Danitol (10.6oz/acre), and Brigade(3.2-6.4oz/acre) that provide excellent control of cutworms and flea beetle. Sevin is also registered for use against flea beetles and has performed very well in observations of treated vineyards at 2 qts/acre.

Recent research in Washington State vineyards has shown excellent protection against cutworms using only trunk sprays of a pyrethroid. This approach targets the spray to the trunk surface, and larvae have to climb up through the residue to reach the buds. This approach significantly reduces the cost of application, but it is important to realize that this will not protect the upper canopy from flea beetle feeding.

For more information on grape production, visit grapes.msu.edu

Source: http://news.msue.msu.edu/news/article/monitor_grape_buds_for_climbing_cutworm_and_flea_beetles

Apple Flea Weevil Begins Spring Emergence, by Matthew J. Grieshop, Anne Nielsen, and Larry Gut, Michigan State University Extension, Department of Entomology

MSU research is underway to help growers manage this emerging pest.

The apple flea weevil has begun emerging in at least two Michigan apple orchards: one near Pottersville and the other near Berrien Center. Trees at both sites were in quarter-inch green when weevils were first observed. Adult weevils have begun mating and tend to aggregate on buds. It is unknown whether they are damaging buds at silver or green tip, but based on laboratory observations, they are capable of damaging buds beginning at pink.

The organic pest management laboratory at Michigan State University has initiated research to determine the life history, phenology, reproductive behavior, damage thresholds, and management of this pest. We are also researching apple flea weevil monitoring techniques. At present monitoring is best accomplished by visually inspecting the trunk, branches and buds. Beat sheets may also be used.

Here are the results of laboratory screenings conducted this winter. OMRI listed compounds are noted with an asterisks (*).

Entrust®*, Pyganic®*, M-pede®*, Delegate®, Danitol®, Guthion®, and Assail® killed 90% or more of apple flea weevil adults exposed to wet residue but Pyganic® and M-pede®* had no efficacy when dry.

Lime Sulfur*, Mycotrol®*, Neem oil*, and Avaunt® did not kill weevils.

None of the tested compounds are labeled for apple flea weevil at the present time.

Read our previous article, Emerging pest alert: The apple flea weevil  (http://www.ipmnews.msu.edu/fruit/Fruit/tabid/123/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/2857/Emerging-pest-alert-The-apple-flea-weevil.aspx)for more information on the apple flea weevil.

Source: http://news.msue.msu.edu/news/article/apple_flea_weevil_begins_spring_emergence

Fruit Production News

Michigan Fruit Updates

Looking for Michigan fruit updates? Check out these updates brought to you by MSU Extension. Topics of interest include: insect, disease, weather and tree fruits.

·         Southwest Michigan, http://news.msue.msu.edu/news/article/southwest_michigan_fruit_update3

·         West Central Michigan, http://news.msue.msu.edu/news/article/west_central_michigan_fruit_update1

·         East Michigan, http://news.msue.msu.edu/news/article/east_michigan_fruit_update1

Source: Michigan State University Extension for Agriculture.

Job Opportunities/Internships

If you are seeking an internship to learn farming check out ATTRA’s web site that lists opportunities by state. Also note, if you like this site you may want to let your Senator know the value of ATTRA as its slated to be cut from the budget.

For internships visit: http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/internships/search_results.php?State=MI

These are the folks at USDA that provide technical information in a user friendly format. They offer info on all aspects of farming and post harvest processing for organic and sustainable farmers (www.attra.org). Follow ATTRA on Facebook to learn how they hope to continue their work despite that their funding has been cut from the US budget. Here is the note on the Home Page (www.attra.org)

Thank you to our many friends who called legislators on Capitol Hill and urged them to restore funding for our sustainable agriculture information service. Our efforts were not successful and the ATTRA project is cut from the Fiscal 2011 budget that was passed by Congress and signed into law on April 15th. We are now exploring our options for maintaining the project without this funding and will update our friends and supporters as we move forward with new opportunities.

Food Corps Volunteers

Foodcorps Seeks Service Members for School Food Systems

FoodCorps, a brand new and much anticipated national service program, opens applications for its first class of service members. Those selected will dedicate one year of full-time public service in school food systems - sourcing healthful local food for school cafeterias, expanding nutrition education programs, and building and tending school gardens.

FoodCorps is a scalable solution to the national obesity epidemic. Since 1980, the percentage of American children who are overweight or obese has doubled. With one in four U.S. children struggling with hunger and one in three obese or overweight, FoodCorps addresses the root cause of both: access to healthy food.

FoodCorps seeks up to 80 young men and women with a passion for serving their country by building healthy communities. Beginning in August 2011, service members will get their hands dirty in one of 10 states: Arizona, Arkansas, Iowa, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina or Oregon.

Applications and more information can be found at www.foodcorps.org.

Garden Policy Internship

Application Deadline: May 2, 2011

The Garden Project is currently recruiting for the position of Garden Policy Intern to start in mid-May and work through August 2011. The Garden Project of the Greater Lansing Food Bank is dedicated to growing healthy food and cultivating connections through community gardens, home gardens and a gleaning program.

Garden Policy Internship Position Description: Garden Policy Intern will perform a variety of duties to explore model garden policies and barriers encountered or opportunities present in our community. The Garden Project has a small dedicated team of staff working together to develop a healthier food system in the Lansing area. We expect the Garden Policy Intern to work cooperatively and creatively on a variety of tasks including the duties outlined below.

·         Work with project director and other staff to design and implement a policy plan; spend time with garden leaders, community partners and in community gardens to build context and learn about opportunities related to policy work.

·         Review other communities’ policies and analyze relevance in Lansing.

·         Create maps, and a presentation about community gardens in Lansing area, recent growth and barriers that could be addressed with policy changes. Help set up meetings to pursue policy changes.

·         Contribute to other activities of the Project as needed, or as skills dictate.

Qualifications:

·         Experience and interest in community gardens and policy review.

·         Interest in gardening and food security.

·         Excellent communication skills, well organized with attention to detail.

·         Motivated self-starter able to work independently in reaching goals.

Terms: This is a part-time seasonal position lasting about fifteen weeks expected to work approximately 10-12 hours per week from mid- May through the late August/ early September (~150 total hours). Some flexibility exists in exact scheduling. The stipend for this position is $2,100 payable in increments contingent upon the completion of project benchmarks.

To Apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter describing your interests and qualifications specific to this position. Applications may be sent to [log in to unmask] with “Garden Policy Intern” in the subject line and materials sent as attachments. Or, mail to The Garden Project * PO Box 16224 * Lansing MI 48901.

The application deadline is May 2, 2011; early inquiries and applications are encouraged. For more information about us visit www.greaterlansingfoodbank.org and follow the link to The Garden Project.

Garden Evaluation Internship

Application Deadline: May 2, 2011

The Garden Project is currently recruiting for the position of Garden Evaluation Intern to start in mid-May and work through August 2011. The Garden Project of the Greater Lansing Food Bank is dedicated to growing healthy food and cultivating connections through community gardens, home gardens and a gleaning program.

Garden Evaluation Internship Position Description: Garden Evaluation Intern will perform a variety of duties to collect data and stories from community, school and home gardens that will help to measure the impact of the gardens. The Garden Project has a small dedicated team of staff working together to develop a healthier food system in the Lansing area. We expect the Garden Evaluation Intern to work cooperatively and creatively on a variety of tasks including the duties outlined below.

·         Work with project director and other staff to design and implement an evaluation plan including collecting participant surveys, quotes and stories as well as garden production data.

·         Compile and analyze data collected and prepare reporting materials from the data.

·         Interact with gardeners in a variety of formal and informal settings.

·         Contribute to other activities of the Project as needed, or as skills dictate.

Qualifications:

·         Experience and interest in designing and administering evaluation tools.

·         Interest in gardening and food security.

·         Excellent communication skills, well organized with attention to detail.

·         Motivated self-starter able to work independently in reaching goals.

·         Flexibility to work evenings and weekends as needed.

Terms: This is a part-time seasonal position lasting about fifteen weeks expected to work approximately 14-18 hours per week from mid- May through the late August/ early September (~250 total hours). Some flexibility exists in exact scheduling. The stipend for this position is $3,400 payable in increments contingent upon the completion of project benchmarks.

To Apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter describing your interests and qualifications specific to this position. Applications may be sent to [log in to unmask] with “Garden Evaluation Intern” in the subject line and materials sent as attachments. Or, mail to The Garden Project * PO Box 16224 * Lansing MI 48901.

The application deadline is May 2, 2011; early inquiries and applications are encouraged. For more information about us visit www.greaterlansingfoodbank.org and follow the link to The Garden Project.

Administrative Coordinator at Countryside Conservancy

Applications are due not later than Friday, May 6, 2011. A preferred start date of Monday, June 6 will allow four weeks orientation and training by the current Administrative Coordinator.

The Administrative Coordinator reports directly to the Executive Director, and has primary responsibility for managing several critical Conservancy support functions: Office operations, IT/computer services, financial records, and personnel records.

The Administrative Coordinator serves as a critical player-coach for a busy, close knit, interdependent team of Program Coordinators and their staffs (totaling four full-time and four part-time persons and growing).

The Countryside Conservancy is a private, non-profit corporation headquartered in Cuyahoga Valley National Park, and working to rebuild community-based farming and food systems across Northeast Ohio. Prior knowledge and experience related to farming and food issues, while useful and desirable are secondary to the technical, managerial, and interpersonal skills emphasized below.

Responsibilities & Qualifications:

·         Executive Director Support

·         The Administrative Coordinator serves as the Executive Director’s key assistant for producing electronic and/or hard copies of important correspondence, memoranda, brochures, press releases and grant proposals. Excellent typing and page layout skills are required; as well proficiency in Microsoft Office Professional 2007 (Access, Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint).

·         Financial Records Management

·         The Administrative Coordinator manages financial activities and records for the entire organization: Accounts payable/receivable, bank deposits, check reconciliation, and financial reporting. Experience with QuickBooks is required.

·         Office Management & Support

·         The Administrative Coordinator oversees all general office support for the entire organization: Equipment, supplies, technology, procedures/policies, travel arrangements, meeting arrangements/supplies, expense tracking. Requires flexibility, problem solving, attention to details, multi-tasking, interpersonal/communication skills.

·         IT/Computer Support

·         The Administrative Coordinator serves as the Countryside Conservancy’s staff go-to person for information technology trouble shooting and maintenance (server, wireless router, and computers). The Coordinator teaches and supports executive and program staff, and acts as liaison for outside technical support. The Coordinator has primary responsibility for maintenance of the organizational website. Significant IT experience/skills are required.

·         Critical Personal Qualities & Skills

·         The Administrative Coordinator will need excellent planning and organizational skills, ability to prioritize workflow and schedule, self motivation, ability to work independently, discretion in dealing with confidential information, act as a team player – and, a positive, courteous, respectful manner when interacting with constituents, volunteers, and staff.

Experience, Work Schedules & Salary:

Undergraduate degree and 3-5 years experience in business/office management is preferred.

The Administrative Coordinator is a full-time salaried position. Typical work weeks are 4 hours, Monday-Friday mostly at the Countryside Conservancy offices. Additional hours, evening and weekend work are expected from time to time usually off-site. Some weekly local travel (reimbursed) is required. Beginning salary is $30,000-$35,000 plus benefits.

How to Apply: Persons wishing to apply for this position should submit a letter of interest and resume (including 3 professional references) by May 6, 2011 to:

Darwin Kelsey

Executive Director

Countryside Conservancy

2179 Everett Road

Peninsula, OH 44264

Assistant Professor in Urban Civic Ecology, Portland State University

The Nohad A. Toulan School of Urban Studies and Planning at Portland State University seeks an energetic, creative scholar to fill a tenure-track assistant professor position beginning Fall 2011.   The successful candidate will contribute to our mission to be an international leader in education and research on livable and sustainable cities and regions. We are looking for a scholar with substantive interests in civic ecology and sustainable communities, and with a strong commitment to engaged, community-based learning, the ability to build on community partnerships and who will complement the strengths of existing faculty.  Review of applications will begin immediately, and continue until finalists are identified.

See more on the position description, qualifications and how to apply at:
http://www.pdx.edu/usp/faculty-job-openings

Vicki Morrone

C. S. Mott Group for Sustainable Food Systems

Outreach Specialist for Organic Vegetable and Field Crops

303 Natural Resources

East Lansing, MI 48824

517-353-3542/517-282-3557 (cell)

517-353-3834 (Fax)

www.MichiganOrganic.msu.edu

If you would like to access a searchable archive of the all the previous Mich-Organic listserv postings copy this URL and paste in your browser address field http://list.msu.edu/archives/mich-organic.html