Hi All,

Thanks to all of you who have expressed interest in, and RSVP’s regarding the Senate Ag. Committee Hearing in E. Lansing on Saturday.

I have just been informed by Stabenow’s office that if the Legislature cannot reach consensus on a budget by tomorrow, we are going to have a government shutdown, in which case this Hearing is going to be cancelled.

Please check tomorrow on Senator Stabenow’s website tomorrow http://stabenow.senate.gov/ for an update on this. And if you happen to hear in the news that we have a government shutdown, you can assume that the hearing is cancelled.

If this happens, and you would like to convey your disappointment, you can try calling 202-224-2053, or e-mailing [log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]. But please be aware that the staff and Stabenow herself have little control over this – it is basically in the hands of the whole Legislature. And I think it’s understandable that if the government shuts down, Senatror Stabenow’s priority should be to stay in D.C. - working to to get it running again, rather than talking to us about the Farm Bill.

Hopefully our politicians can get their collective as- whoops, I mean acts together and continue to do the job we elected them to do – RUN THE GOVERNMENT! But if they cannot, then the Hearing will not take place.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

Taylor Reid
Michigan Organic Food and Farm Alliance Policy Committee
517-449-2525
If you would like to access a searchable archive of the all the previous Mich-Organic listserv postings copy this URL and paste in your browser address field http://list.msu.edu/archives/mich-organic.html