Greetings,

First, thank you to those of you who have already applied to this opportunity.  Second, I apologize if you get this message on multiple listservs, we want to reach as many folks as we can.

This is just a reminder to think about applying for The Math You Need, When You Need It workshop in Seattle July 27-29, 2011.  The application can be found on our workshop website:  http://serc.carleton.edu/mathyouneed/workshop2011/application.html.  We have extended the deadline to this coming Friday, April 8, 2011.  If you are unable to attend but know someone who might be interested, please pass this information along!

This NSF-funded summer workshop will gather faculty from across the country to address the advantages and challenges of teaching introductory geoscience quantitatively. The Math You Need, When You Need It (http://serc.carleton.edu/mathyouneed/) is a series of classroom-tested online modules that help students learn basic mathematical concepts essential to succeeding in introductory geoscience courses.  During the workshop, you will design a plan for incorporating The Math You Need in your own (pre-existing) introductory geoscience course. Faculty members who have used TMYN will help to lead the workshop and facilitate collaboration with participants with similar interests. For more information about successful use of the modules in real classrooms, please see last year's implementation pages:  http://serc.carleton.edu/mathyouneed/implementations.html).

The workshop will begin Wednesday evening (July 27) and conclude Friday (July 29) after lunch.  We’ll try to end at a reasonable time on Friday so that those of you who wish to extend your stay and explore the Pacific Northwest on your own time can do so, or you can depart Friday afternoon to get home in time for the weekend.  More information and a schedule of events can be found at the workshop website:  http://serc.carleton.edu/mathyouneed/workshop2011/index.html.  All participant costs (including airfare, transportation while at the workshop, and room and board) are covered by collaborative grants from NSF (DUE-0920583 and -0920800).  In order to make sure that we are able to plan effectively for the workshop, applications are due April 4, 2011. We will notify participants of their acceptance by mid-April.  Please feel free to contact us (Jen Wenner - [log in to unmask] or Eric Baer [log in to unmask]) or the TMYN project coordinator Deborah Ashley ([log in to unmask]) with any questions you might have.

Thank you for considering this workshop!

Best wishes,

Jen

Dr. Jennifer Wenner
Associate Professor