Department of Physics and Astronomy

Distinguished Lecture Series

Public Lecture

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

8:00pm

Kellogg Hotel and Conference Center, Auditorium

IRWIN SHAPIRO

Harvard/Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics

Earth is continually bombarded by objects from space.  Hundreds of tons
enter our air space daily.  The good news is that most of these objects are
exceedingly small and disappear in our atmosphere with hardly any being
noticed.  My talk till concentrate on the larger cosmic intruders, which,
luckily for us, strike Earth far less frequently.  The key question is:
What should we do to protect Earth from the interlopers that could cause
global catastrophes?

Public Lecture is free!

Kim Crosslan

Dept. Physics and Astronomy