I'm connecting to the mail.msu.edu system using Mac Mail over IMAP.  One of my folders has 2060 messages and comes up pretty quickly, as do the rest of my folders (smaller volumes).  However these folders are of course cached on my local system after I access them or put messages into them.

Is Thunderbird holding a local copy of the messages and it's still operating slowly?

-t