Are you getting any errors in the application log on the BES?

From: Aldrich, Dak [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2011 8:43 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express issues...again

So… it’s just been the twilight zone around here lately.  Well, this one not so lately.

Once upon a time, someone thought it would be a WONDERFUL idea to get a BlackBerry.  “OK.  I’ll work with you”, I said.

We have Exchange 2007 on Server 2003.  BESx on Server 2003.

I have rebuilt the BESx server from scratch twice in an effort to solve this issue.  Each time I did, we reset the two blackberry’s that we have in the entire college.

The Issue:

Every time there is a Windows update that requires a reboot, I do it when the mail server needs rebooting as well.  I take the BESx server down completely.  Reboot the mail server.  Bring the BESx server back up.

Then… Nothing.  No mail comes through on the blackberry’s.  I reboot the blackberry server in excess of 10 times sometimes.  Maybe it’ll start working, maybe it wont.  Most often I’m resorted to removing service books from the BlackBerry devices and re-syncing EVERYTHING with the server.  This just gets annoying.

Please note there are no errors in any logs anywhere.  Not windows… not the BlackBerry server logs.  Not even on the Exchange server.

Does anyone have any idea what the crap is going on?  Fortunately, I’ve only got one user on it and at some point she’s going to be switching.  But until that time… I’m got myself into this mess, so I need to be able to support the user.

Thanks for an y ideas anyone might have.

-dak

*  Dak Aldrich

*  Info Tech

*  College of Music, MSU

*  517.432.5045

http://helpdesk.music.msu.edu

This message is only for the intended recipient(s).  If you are not the named recipient you should not read, distribute or copy this email.  Any views or opinions expressed in this email are those of the author and do not represent those of Michigan State University or the College of Music.  Any information obtained from or contained in these emails is confidential.  No information will be shared or given to any persons outside of the appropriate department(s).