From: Alexander Hawley [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 9:33 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] Android wireless registration?

I finally got back to fixing this again.

There is definitely a delay between registration and service. I didn't time
it or anything. But I can confirm you don't get internet right when you
register.

I understand the ease of managing authN this way, but it's just not a good
user experience. I'm not sure it's any better than the previous forms-based
authN. Six of one (...). They both kind of break the internet a little.

(Off-topic: Why do we offer unencrypted (public) access--why not just make
the password "free" as others suggested?)

My other issue is my device not picking up MSU wireless (2.0) automatically
if wireless radio is already on. I have to disable/enable wireless radio,
and then MSU wireless grants me an IP.

This automatic connection problem is definitely a combination of MSU
wireless and my specific device. I do not have this problem with the same
device on different wireless networks (home, coffee shops, public, private,
et al.). I suspect the issue may be MSU is using a less-popular portion of
the wireless protocol, something a cheaper, retail router wouldn't. Some
minutiae for which Motorola/Android may not have accounted. Device is still
stock, so it's not some bad mom's-basement-dev mojo or anything like that.

Motorola Droid X
Android 2.2.1 (stock)
Kernel 2.6.32.9-g55626e1 w30471@il93lnxdroid08 #1
Verizon