**Apologies for cross-posting**

Colleagues,

The UK Geography, Earth and Environmental Science (GEES) Subject Centre is currently running the Open Fieldwork project, which aims to create a searchable database of resources to support fieldwork education in HE. Many great resources are already “out there”, so our focus is on collating existing online resources which are ‘open’ or publicly available, and exploring ways of enhancing their discovery and potential for re-use.

In order to guide the development of our database we would like to know how fieldwork practitioners search for, find, and create resources to support their fieldwork, to gather views and opinions on ‘good’ fieldwork resources, and explore attitudes to making fieldwork resources more freely available. From this we intend to build on, and contribute to, existing communities of practice by stimulating discussion around how we share and re-use fieldwork resources both now, and in the future.

We invite you to participate in a consultation survey which can be accessed through the following link:

http://www.surveygizmo.com/s3/456904/Open-Fieldwork-Project-Consultation-Survey

The deadline for responses is 4pm on Friday 29th April, 2011. Results will be made available through the GEES Subject Centre website in due course.

At the end of the survey we invite you to request further information about the Open Fieldwork project, and also to be entered for a prize draw to win a £25 (or equivalent) Amazon voucher.

We aim to consult as widely as possible, so please feel free to forward this email onto colleagues in any academic discipline with an interest in undergraduate fieldwork. This can include industry and potential employers.

Thanks for your time,

Alison

Dr Alison Stokes

Open Fieldwork Project Officer

GEES Subject Centre, University of Plymouth, UK

The Open Fieldwork project is part of the JISC/HE Academy UKOER programme (http://openfieldwork.org.uk)