Hello,

As some of you may know, UMaine is part of a new NSF-funded partnership targeting the teaching and learning of physical sciences in grades 6-9 and the preparation of science teachers.

One major strand of this project is implementing and evaluating uniform curricular components in the partner schools.  We are much of the way through curriculum selection process for grades 6-8 and are starting to look at grade 9 materials.  As you might expect, we are seeking out coherent, research-supported curricula.  And because of the diversity of subjects taught in 9th grade, we are looking at both Earth and Physical Sciences materials.

Below, I've listed the curricula we have identified so far as ones we want to consider further.  I'm sure there are others.  What have we missed that you would suggest we review?

Physics Union Mathematics			Rutgers
Coordinated Science				It's About Time
Investigations in Environmental Science		It's About Time/GEODE
IPS (Introductory Physical Science)		SCI
FM&E (Force, Energy, and Motion)		SCI
S&S (Science and Sustainability)		SEPUP
SEPUP Modules (12 available)			SEPUP
Earth2Class					E2C/Columbia

Thanks in advance, and I'm happy to take responses off-list.

Chris

--
Christopher Gerbi
Assistant Professor - Mineralogy/Rheology

Tel. 207-581-2153
FAX 207-581-2202
http://www.umaine.edu/earthsciences/
http://umaine.edu/center/