We've talk to Jon offline, but I thought this information might be good to provide to folks.

ATS provides NetPrint as a campus service and has the ability to deploy printers in most locations, depending on overall utilization and network connectivity. When we examine a location for new NetPrint systems we look at the density of users in the area, existing and potential demand for print services, and the relative location of other print resources. Ultimately the decision about weather to support a new NetPrint Printer in a given location lies with ATS, but we try to be as flexible as possible while maintaining a consistent level of service across campus.

The system works based on credits users add to their account via student receivables transactions or SpartyCash transfers. Users who do not have university accounts are able to purchase tokens in person via the computer store (for example, departmental or organizational accounts). We're working on a CashNet solution to make it easier for those individuals to add credits to their accounts with a basic credit card transaction.

The cost for the department varies based on conditions, but a wholly ATS supported printer has no cost associated with it. We have some printers in specialized locations where support and maintenance are provided by a department and we tend to be pretty flexible in terms of matching support to the situation. For example a NetPrint printer in a public location (i.e. the business college) is stocked and supported entirely by ATS. We also support some systems which have limited access based on hours or location which are stocked by departmental staff while ATS supplies paper, toner, and hardware support. We also have the ability to only support the software side of the NetPrint system, leaving the hardware and consumables support to the department.

The contacts for this service at ATS are myself, for the software side of NetPrint, and Steve Jowett for the hardware side. If anyone has any specific questions about the service feel free to give me a call.

Dave Beaudoin

Team Leader, Classroom Software
Academic Technology Services
Michigan State University