I have run into this problem with more than just printers when network switches and network cards suddenly decide to use non-matching settings.  One common combination is that the network card might decide to use 100mbit/FullDuplex while the network switch to which it is connected will run the port at 100Mbit/HalfDuplex.  In this mode I have seen devices transfer data at about 3Mbit/sec.

I have seen this change in connection parameters change spontaneously, and until recently our practice was to configure the printer to fixed speed and duplex and the same with the port on the network switch.  This has become unnecessary after HP started providing firmware updates for the Procurve switches we use that set the default duplex for ports to Full.

-Stefan