At 1/27/2011 10:15 AM Thursday, John Gorentz wrote:
>At 10:00 AM 1/27/2011, David McFarlane wrote:
>>I have been hearing scary stories about IPv4 addresses running out
>>later this year.  Which gets me wondering, is MSU doing anything to
>>prepare for this, or need we do anything?  Thanks.
>>
>>-- dkm
>
>This is more for your amusement than your enlightenment, but maybe
>ten years ago there was an article in one of the well-known trade
>magazines that listed Michigan State University as one of a handful
>of institutions that were hogging a lot more IP addresses than they
>needed.   Doug Nelson may have turned some of the excess over to
>MERIT.  (I'm not sure where I got that idea, though.  It might have
>come from the voices in my head.)
>
>Doesn't make the issue go away, of course.
>
>John Gorentz

Thanks.  Hmm, decided to do a bit of my own homework, went to
www.msu.edu and searched for "ipv6", which came up with a link to
"IPv6 and the MSU Network - TB10982"
(http://techbase.msu.edu/article.asp?id=10982&service= ), which says,
"IPv6 is INCOMPATIBLE with our network at this time and therefore
MUST be disabled on user computers".  Don't know how old that article
is though, or if it still applies, or what it means for the future.

-- dkm